none
Web content, user not authorized, credential error RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm trying to do a query from the web, and am running into a "The user was not authorized" error, "The credentials provided for the Web source, are invalid. Please update the credentials..."

    I can use MSIE to access the exact same URL with the exact same credentials, using "Basic" web authentication, and it works fine.

    Even more strangely, looking through my web server logs, apparently Power Query successfully authenticates the first time, but then it repeats the request (perhaps looking at additional tables in the output?) and then fails to authorize.

    And, if I intentionally typo the end of the URL, I get a '404 not found', which you can only get if you successfully authorize!

    The following lines are from the web server access log, only showing testing instances from Power Query.

    First the intentional typo:

    [13146] aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd- ed [11/Sep/2014:16:03:12 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/XXXXXXXz HTTP/1.1" 404 320
    [13146] aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd - ed [11/Sep/2014:16:03:13 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/XXXXXXXz HTTP/1.1" 404 320

    The " - ed" shows that I successfully authenticated.

    Then, with the correct spelling of the end of the URL:

    [12617] aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd - ed [11/Sep/2014:16:03:51 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/XXXXXXXX HTTP/1.1" 200 4007
    [13156] aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd - - [11/Sep/2014:16:03:52 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/XXXXXXXX HTTP/1.1" 401 479
    [13146] aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd - ed [11/Sep/2014:16:03:53 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/XXXXXXXX HTTP/1.1" 200 4007

    For some reason, Power Query sends the request 3 times. The first and third times successfully authenticate (" - ed", and a "200" response code). But the second time fails to authenticate, and apparently, that's all that Power Query cares about, since I get a "The user was not authorized" error.

    Any ideas? I tried enabling tracing, but I can't discern anything useful in the log file.

    Thanks,

    Ed


    • Edited by Texas Ed Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:15 PM
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:14 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Ok, so no answers. What is the path for official Microsoft support, or at least, bug report submission?
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 8:59 PM
  • You can use "send a frown" from inside the addin to report this as a bug. However, I think this is a known issue. We have to load the web page into IE in order to get the DOM, and I think we don't have any way to set the credential for IE.
    Friday, September 19, 2014 5:35 PM
  • Thanks, Curt. I sent a frown, was asked for a log file (yay), I provided. Now I wait, I suppose...
    Monday, January 12, 2015 2:51 PM
  • Hi,

    I had the same Problem. I changed the data source seetings on organizational account and changed slightly the url... I replaced the https by http and it worked!

    You could try it, if the problem is still actual

    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 2:11 PM