none
Exchange DAG across sites. Do I need to add all member servers to the protection group? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I have an exchange DAG which has two member servers in one city, and a single member in another. I have two members(in the same city) added to my current exchange protection group.

I've only just configured the third server. It is a member of the DAG, however I haven't added any database copies to it yet.

As far as I can understand, Exchange 2016 uses federated log truncation. Which means that when DPM modifies the log, that change is replicated across all DAG members.

Do I need the third server to be a member of the DPM protection group? I was hoping to avoid it if possible

Saturday, August 5, 2017 10:36 PM

All replies

• Hello everyone,

I have an exchange DAG which has two member servers in one city, and a single member in another. I have two members(in the same city) added to my current exchange protection group.

I've only just configured the third server. It is a member of the DAG, however I haven't added any database copies to it yet.

As far as I can understand, Exchange 2016 uses federated log truncation. Which means that when DPM modifies the log, that change is replicated across all DAG members.

Do I need the third server to be a member of the DPM protection group? I was hoping to avoid it if possible

I don't use DPM, but yes, if you run backups and the logs are truncated after the completion, the logs on all the servers that share those DBs will get truncated as well.
    Saturday, August 5, 2017 10:59 PM