none
PWA Question on permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, we are using PWA for a few projects.  We have some stakeholders who would like to see the project schedule but aren't contributing to the project (for example, they aren't going to make updates to the project).  

My question

(1) What permissions so I need to set or what SharePoint/PWA Security Group do I need to update to allow someone to browse the project schedule but not allow any type of updates? (simply read-only) (I think the participate needs to be in the Project Web App Visitors group)

(2) Once the Security Group is identified, outside of dropping the person is the security group(s), do I need to do anything else? for example, do I need to add the resource as part of the Team on the project and/or do I need to go into Office 365 Portal and enable Project Online essentials

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 9:29 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Assuming they want access to all projects and you are using the Project Permission mode, the following should work:

• New security group that has the My Organisation category added then allow "Open Project", "View project shedule in Project Web App", "View Project Summary in Project Center" for the category permisisons. On the global permissions allow "Log On", "View project Center", "View Project Schedule Views". Add those users to this group.

This assumes the My Org category is default and set to all projects andd these users are not in other groups etc. Without knowing your access model, there might be other tweaks needed but that should get you started. Once they are in the group, you will need need to assign the correct PWA license: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/project-online-service-description.aspx#Anchor_4

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

• Marked as answer by clay28 Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:12 PM
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 10:40 AM
  • clay28 --

In addition to the excellent answer from PW, your other option would be to add those users as team members in the projects you want them to see, and then to republish the project.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by clay28 Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:11 PM
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 1:33 PM
  • Hi all, i spoke with MSFT Support on this topic and here is what I got.  For a user who would like to view a Read-Only copy of the schedule and aren't a contributor to the project (i.e., no assigned tasks to the person), you need to create a sub-site for the project and drop the user into the Visistors group (at the project level, from within the Sub-site group).  So the steps to allow the user to access a read-only copy of the project schedule:

(1) give the user Office 365 Project Online Essentials  license

(2) add user to Team Members for Project Web App at the site level of PWA

(3) create a sub-site for the project 

(4) from the PWA landing page, select the row where the project is (you do not want to click into the project).  The Project ribbon will come down and you can select Project Permissions.  From there, you can select the <Project Name> Visitors group and add the user.

The one thing I'm not sure about whether or not you need to add the user as an Enterprise Resource and add the user to your project Team (You can do that for good measure but not sure if it is required)

• Marked as answer by clay28 Friday, May 4, 2018 12:29 AM
    Friday, May 4, 2018 12:29 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Assuming they want access to all projects and you are using the Project Permission mode, the following should work:

• New security group that has the My Organisation category added then allow "Open Project", "View project shedule in Project Web App", "View Project Summary in Project Center" for the category permisisons. On the global permissions allow "Log On", "View project Center", "View Project Schedule Views". Add those users to this group.

This assumes the My Org category is default and set to all projects andd these users are not in other groups etc. Without knowing your access model, there might be other tweaks needed but that should get you started. Once they are in the group, you will need need to assign the correct PWA license: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/project-online-service-description.aspx#Anchor_4

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

• Marked as answer by clay28 Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:12 PM
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 10:40 AM
  • clay28 --

In addition to the excellent answer from PW, your other option would be to add those users as team members in the projects you want them to see, and then to republish the project.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by clay28 Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:11 PM
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 1:33 PM
  • Hi Paul and Dale, thank you for your answers.

I read both of your answers and it confirmed what I thought.

(1) The user will need to have a PWA license (there is no way around that)

(2) I can add the user as a contributor to the project

Thanks again for responding.

Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:11 PM
  • Hi all, i spoke with MSFT Support on this topic and here is what I got.  For a user who would like to view a Read-Only copy of the schedule and aren't a contributor to the project (i.e., no assigned tasks to the person), you need to create a sub-site for the project and drop the user into the Visistors group (at the project level, from within the Sub-site group).  So the steps to allow the user to access a read-only copy of the project schedule:

(1) give the user Office 365 Project Online Essentials  license

(2) add user to Team Members for Project Web App at the site level of PWA

(3) create a sub-site for the project 

(4) from the PWA landing page, select the row where the project is (you do not want to click into the project).  The Project ribbon will come down and you can select Project Permissions.  From there, you can select the <Project Name> Visitors group and add the user.

The one thing I'm not sure about whether or not you need to add the user as an Enterprise Resource and add the user to your project Team (You can do that for good measure but not sure if it is required)

• Marked as answer by clay28 Friday, May 4, 2018 12:29 AM
    Friday, May 4, 2018 12:29 AM