SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU2 client update on SQL cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, 

I would just like to know, is there a known issue where the deployment of the CU/update of the SCCM cluster would cause multiple SQL nodes to fail over.

The reason i am asking is that after the CU2 update and deploying the client update manually to a x64 and x86 collection we had complaints that a SQL cluster was affected and the nodes failed over all at the same time. When they checked the loges they found that the "Windows Update Service" and "The Windows Installer Service" entered running states and there are wanting to know if the client version update could have caused this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Leon

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:02 PM

All replies

• >I would just like to know, is there a known issue where the deployment of the CU/update of the SCCM cluster would cause multiple SQL nodes to fail over.

Not that I know of or see documented anywhere. As the CU is a .MSP file, it will definitely show activity in the windows update services and logs. But, the CU itself is unaware of your cluster and isn't forcing anything to fail over.

I hope that helps,

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    If you found a bug or want the product to work differently, share your feedback.
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click the up arrow or propose as answer.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 11:45 PM
  • Hi Nash, 

Thank you for your reply, I just realized now that I did a typo on my question. So what I meant, just to be clear was that our SQL guys complained and said that the SCCM CU2 client update was the cause of their SQL cluster nodes to fail over and the SQL cluster servers to restart. So not meaning the SCCM cluster.

The one reason for this is that they say because of the SCCM client 2012 R2 SP1 CU2 upgrade and it restarting WMI it cause all nodes to fail.

Now my argument with this was that the update ran on multiple other SQL clusters without affecting them at all and only this one cluster is in question.

So they looked at the CU update .log file found on the local machine under c:\windows\temp and in that log it states "WARNING: Installing the advanced client on this computer may cause the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) and Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) services to stop and restart."

So what I need to confirm is would a WMI and Bits restart cause SQL nodes to failover and cluster services to stop ?

Thank you for the help so far

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:00 PM