Problem with PXE booting from virtual WDS/MDT server RRS feed

• Question

• We have a problem with PXE booting.

If I press pause while waiting for a DHCP offer, the PXE client can boot. If I don't pause it fails saying it hasn't received an offer.

It looks like the WDS server responds too slow with a DHCP Offer. The PXE client sends 3 DHCP Discover messages and gets immediately an Offer from the (seperate) DHCP server. After the 3 Offers the WDS server sends an offer with a server host name. The client answers after 3 seconds with a DHCP release.

In the Windows Deployment-Services-Diagnostics Debug log I can see it takes a lot of time to look up the device.  [WDSServer] Device not found: [A8-1E-...] [{...}]; applying default policy.

What can cause this delay? Where does WDS lookup devices in this stage (MDT database?) ?

We've got a separate DHCP server VM. Windows 2012R2 Hyper-V Windows 2012R2 WDS VM.

Booting form an older Windows 2008R2 WDS server works without any tricks.

We've put a lot of effort in this problem already. Four members of a third party have looked into this problem and didn't resolve the problem. They bypassed it by configuring options 66 and 67 on the DHCP server. As we have both UEFI and BIOS devices, this is becoming a problem. With this bypass we are asked to press F12 three times before PXE boot starts.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 4:53 PM

Answers

• Have you tried configuring DHCP policies to support both legacy and UEFI devices? https://2pintsoftware.com/whitepaper-using-dhcp-uefi-bios-pxe-booting/

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Edited by Anton Romanyuk Thursday, December 21, 2017 7:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Koen DV Friday, December 22, 2017 4:36 PM
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 7:09 PM

All replies

• Have you tried configuring DHCP policies to support both legacy and UEFI devices? https://2pintsoftware.com/whitepaper-using-dhcp-uefi-bios-pxe-booting/

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Edited by Anton Romanyuk Thursday, December 21, 2017 7:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Koen DV Friday, December 22, 2017 4:36 PM
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 7:09 PM
  • I didn't know that existed. This seems to do what I expect.

I did configure option 60 because the WDS service runs on another server than DHCP.

Thanks!

Friday, December 22, 2017 4:36 PM