none
Publishing of tasks to timesheets RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We currently have the task functionality disabled, but timesheets enabled. We currently have Line Managers who publish their "enhancement tasks" to resource timesheets and updates are done accordingly by submitting time against published tasks on timesheet. However, project managers do not publish tasks to timesheets. Rather, resources insert administrative tasks in timesheets for a project and record project time against the inserted administrative task (project). Is it possible to have Project Managers also publish their tasks to resource timesheets and then for resources to book time against the published task, but the submitted time does not update the Project Manager's plan? Bearing in mind that this recorded time of the resource still needs to be reported from somewhere. In other words, Line Managers publish tasks, resources submit time and line manager accepts time and plans are updated. Project Manager publishes tasks, resource submit time, time does not update plan but is captured in a reporting database?

I know this is a major work around and far from best practice, but the question was posed to me, so I would just like to give an accurate answer. I am all for using the system as intended and publishing and updating both ways...

I look forward to your responses.

Many thanks,

Jaco

Regards, Jaco van der Riet Pioneer Foods (Pty) Ltd PMO

Monday, December 3, 2012 2:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Jaco,

This is what happens in generic scenario. Each resource has timesheet manager. Project Manager creates project plan and assign resources to  different tasks. Saves and publishes project plan. When resource creates timesheet respective project plans populated in to timesheet. Resource submits task updates , which will be sent to Status Manager. (Status manager could be project manager or someone else, to know the status manager open the project plan in project pro and insert column Status Manager). Status manager approves the task update. When all tasks from the timesheet are approved, timesheet will be sent to timesheet manager. Once timesheet is approved, project manager has to published the project plan to sync  draft copy and PWA. Publishing the project plan also updates data into reporting database.

In your scenario looks like tasks flow is working as expected for Line manager, for project manager , please check who is status manager for those tasks?

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, December 3, 2012 4:37 PM