none
Authenticator App Producing 6 and 8 digit codes RRS feed

• Question

• I use the Microsoft Authenticator App for both my personal and business accounts. The problem i am having is that the old Authenticator app only produced 6 digit codes and the new App produces 6 digits for my business accounts and 8 digits for my personal accounts. Every time i get asked for a code for any of my personal accounts the requesting software, typically Office 365, does not recognize the 8 digit code and fails to authenticate. What am i doing wrong?

T

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 4:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Shelman,

Certain non-browser apps, such as the Apple native email client that uses Exchange Active Sync, currently do not support multi-factor authentication. Multi-factor authentication is enabled per user. This means that if a user has been enabled for multi-factor authentication and they are attempting to use non-browser apps, they will be unable to do so. 

So we should use App password to login that.

Best regards,
    Jason

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by The Shelman Sunday, January 14, 2018 5:59 AM
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Shelman,

Could you please tell me you are using iOS or Android?

Which version of your Microsoft Authenticator app?

Best regards,

Jason

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:11 AM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks for asking.

I am using the Authenticator on my Windows 10, Lumia 950XL phone. The version is 6.0.19

Best Regards,

Sheldon

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 3:18 PM
  • Hi Shelman,

Please try to use App passwords to login your account.

About App password, please refer to this link blow:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/12409/microsoft-account-app-passwords-two-step-verification

Best regards,

Jason

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:18 AM
  • Thanks Jason,

I already use App Passwords. I prefer to use the Authenticator App as it is much easier and safer to use and I don't need to store my App Passwords somewhere whenever I randomly get asked to verify my accounts. Why is the Authenticator App not working as it should?

Best Regards,

Sheldon

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 2:14 PM
  • Hi Shelman,

Certain non-browser apps, such as the Apple native email client that uses Exchange Active Sync, currently do not support multi-factor authentication. Multi-factor authentication is enabled per user. This means that if a user has been enabled for multi-factor authentication and they are attempting to use non-browser apps, they will be unable to do so. 

So we should use App password to login that.

Best regards,
    Jason

• Marked as answer by The Shelman Sunday, January 14, 2018 5:59 AM
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:01 AM
  • Thanks Jason

Regards,

Sheldon

Sunday, January 14, 2018 6:00 AM
  • Dear Microsoft,

I have the same problem. Do you even test these services? How can I use app passwords when I do not have internet for example? The benefit of the authenticator app is that I can use it when offline and when out of the country. It is simple and reliable. Everyone else uses 6 digit codes. Why do you use 7 digit codes? And what is disheartening is that even your own MICROSOFT AUTHENTICATOR app generates 6 digit codes.

What a shame.

Saturday, August 4, 2018 3:45 PM
  • similar problem -- after getting a new iphone the app only provides 8 digit codes which is too many for the function I use it for   don't know what to do!

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:12 PM
  • I am having the same issue.  8 digit code when 6 is requested. Not receiving pushes to Authenticator App.  I verified Azure has the right phone number, as I could receive a text to set up the Authenticator.  Something is broken.  I need access to my account.  When will this be fixed?

Lucas

• Proposed as answer by Hina zahid Friday, March 20, 2020 2:44 AM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 2:24 PM
  • Is the most reasonable explanation that it's by design to not facilitate anything with AWS.  This is not a new thing with Microsoft.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2020 10:04 PM
  • Dear Microsoft,

I have the same problem. Do you even test these services? How can I use app passwords when I do not have internet for example? The benefit of the authenticator app is that I can use it when offline and when out of the country. It is simple and reliable. Everyone else uses 6 digit codes. Why do you use 7 digit codes? And what is disheartening is that even your own MICROSOFT AUTHENTICATOR app generates 6 digit codes.

What a shame.

I have the same issue. Was trying to log in using my personal email address to Linked In via the web browser. The code generated by the Authenticator APP was 8 digits, but Linked in was looking for 6. It fails every time and I am now locked out of my account.  I am using an Apple 7 phone with Authenticator 6.4.14. My other two accounts use 6 digits (on the same app). This is super annoying.
    Monday, August 10, 2020 3:51 PM