Script HTML tag in Outlook sig RRS feed

• Question

• Company wants to add a LinkedIn "Follow" button to their email sigs. LinkedIn generates this HTML for a Follow button:

<script src="//platform.linkedin.com/in.js" type="text/javascript"> lang: en_US</script>
    <script type="IN/FollowCompany" data-id="########" data-counter="top"></script>

I tried creating an HTML sig, opening the file from %appdata%\Microsoft\Signatures and pasting this into it, but it did not work.

I tried between the <div class=WordSection1></div> tags, and between the </div> and </body> tag.

Test machine is running Outlook 2016, but they use a mix of 2010, 2013, and 2016, so it has to either work across all 3, or I need separate solutions for all three.

Is this possible to achieve?

• Moved by Steve Fan Friday, June 9, 2017 2:13 AM Move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Thursday, June 1, 2017 5:29 PM

Answers

• After further research, it appears that scripts are disabled by default in HTML email signatures, for security reasons. Makes sense, and also means this isn't possible.
    • Marked as answer by JRVCr Friday, June 9, 2017 12:45 PM
    Friday, June 9, 2017 12:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm not sure whether the HTML code you provided can be used to add the LinkedIn "Follow" button to Outlook signature, it's recommended to contact the support for LinkedIn to confirm this.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Steve Fan Friday, June 2, 2017 7:26 AM
    Friday, June 2, 2017 7:24 AM
  • The LinkedIn administrator says she got that code from LinkedIn. She's verifying. But it probably doesn't matter for purposes of the question. When I have the correct HTML, where would I insert it?
    Friday, June 2, 2017 12:37 PM
  • Try creating an HTML page with the LinkedIn link, then pop it into the "Stationary" folder (%appdata%\microsoft\stationery). Then, set Outlook to use the newly created HTML page as stationary.

You will have to add it to everyone's Stationary folder, but I'm sure it would be possible via a GPO.

Also, remember that it won't show if you send/reply a Text-based email.

Dominic

If it works for you - please mark as answer!

• Edited by domquark Friday, June 2, 2017 1:33 PM
    Friday, June 2, 2017 12:54 PM
  • I've now seen it for myself. If you go here, you can, too:

https://developer.linkedin.com/plugins/follow-company

You don't have to log in. Just click "Get Code" and it generates the same code I posted, but uses LinkedIn's company code.

Dominic, I don't think stationery will work; it has to be a signature because we need to be able to control it the same way we control signatures; different sigs for different Outjook accounts, some users have more than one, some users only apply to new messages and not replies/forwards, etc. I also don't think stationery can automatically put the button under the message, but I'm not certain of that.

Friday, June 2, 2017 9:32 PM
  • No problem, you are right - you cannot control signatures with stationery. You would have to create a different page of stationery for each user; I don't think you can easily parse the username into the HTML code.

The stationary would follow HTML code (header/footer etc.) so it would put the button - or anything else - at a point of your choosing and it is cross version (Outlook 2007/2010/2013/2016) compatible, but that's no use if you can't control the signature....

Dominic

Saturday, June 3, 2017 1:27 AM
  • After further research, it appears that scripts are disabled by default in HTML email signatures, for security reasons. Makes sense, and also means this isn't possible.
    • Marked as answer by JRVCr Friday, June 9, 2017 12:45 PM
    Friday, June 9, 2017 12:45 PM