Testing DPM Recovery. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:

I'm testing the DR test case for DPM 2010.  Assuming all I have left is existing backup tapes...and new servers.  Does anyone have a guide they've used for DR using DPM?

I've been experimenting with various scenarios.... the one issue I have is using DPM to peform a system state restore of a DC. 

1. Recreated a DC (wk8r2). Same IP and name as the one that is gone.

2. Recreated DPM and recataloged data.

3. Used DPM to dump out a system state of my DC.  Did a directory services restore. The DC is up, but SYSVOL/sysvol_dfsr doesn't appear to have come back properly.  So now I'm doubting the idea that I could recover properly in the case of a "total" disaster and all I had left were the backup tapes.

Thursday, December 9, 2010 4:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Not sure what kind of problem you ran into with Sysvol, but try protecting the DC using BMR instead of just systemstate.
    Then perform a BMR restore - that should work.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 1:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Not sure what kind of problem you ran into with Sysvol, but try protecting the DC using BMR instead of just systemstate.
    Then perform a BMR restore - that should work.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 1:19 AM
  • Hi,

As Mike saied you can use Active Directory System State to recover in case of crash with your DC or facing any data corruption on it but in case of a Disaster and complete loss of your system i would prefer using BMR to backup and recover your systems from scratch.

hope that help

Regards

Monday, December 13, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Hello,

You can use these two videos as a walkthrough in setting up and recovering both system state and BMR.

System State: http://www.microsoft.com/showcase/en/us/details/bb0b5339-445b-4298-8705-350f13227b93
    BMR: http://www.microsoft.com/showcase/en/us/details/bec0b1c6-d1fd-41f0-b4bc-df5791dfc68d

Thanks,
    Shane

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Hi Shane and others,

The Walktrhough is nice but assumes that there is a working DPM environment.

As Homer states when starting this discussion there are only tapes left. We have here the same case to solve. Only tapes are left. So we are looking for best practices.

We think that it should be.

- set up a fake DC with fake Computer name. But make the domainname the same and put the fake-DC in the same IP-Range

- set up a DPM server

- set up a SQL-server

- recover the DPM-Database from tape.

- Do a system state or BMR recovery of the original DC.

- A BMR is not possibale because of deffirent Domain SIDS. So do a SystemState recovery where the recovered machine is put in a AD-recovery mode with AD as Authoretive

- Now you have a working AD equal to the lost environment. The SIDS of the new Built DPM are different to the one in the recovered AD, so take the DPM out of AD and put back into AD.

- The same for the SQL server.

- Finaly you are ready to recover all of the other lost machines.

Shane the question now is: is this the correct way to recover this environment.

I realise that it is better to set up a 2nd DPM off site and a 2nd DC and 2nd SQL.

Is it possible to make te 2nd DPM a DC?

Regards , Gerrit Stegeman Continuity Manager at Centric IT-Solutions

ikke
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:03 AM
  • Hello,

If you make the 2nd DPM server a DC, then you'd run into some issues as outlined in here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399416.aspx -- "For a DPM server that is installed on a domain controller, only protection of data sources local to the DPM server is supported. You cannot install agents on other computers to configure protection."

If there is a SID change for the DPM server then there would be complications with the DPM to AD association.

I have not tested your steps above for myself.  I will ask my Directory Services counterparts for thier input.

Thanks
    Shane

Friday, July 29, 2011 12:25 PM