none
Prohibiting Internet Access Using FQDN only - GPO

Question

• dear experts

is there any way i can prohibit internet access on some computers in the environment using computer names with GPO - as computer settings.

and is it applicable to do it using GPO only without referring to TMG? and if done what are the disadvantages of doing that?

thank you all

Sunday, July 26, 2015 7:00 AM

Answers

• I am assumming Internet Explorer since asking for GPO.

If I understand your question correctly:

Use the below two to make the user setting apply to computers

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Make proxy settings per-machine (rather than per user)

Then Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Make proxy settings per-machine (rather than per user)Disable changing connection settings to not allow users to change.

If not IE, use GPO to update the firewall rules or the specific hives in the registry.

Monday, July 27, 2015 3:41 PM

All replies

• I am assumming Internet Explorer since asking for GPO.

If I understand your question correctly:

Use the below two to make the user setting apply to computers

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Make proxy settings per-machine (rather than per user)

Then Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Make proxy settings per-machine (rather than per user)Disable changing connection settings to not allow users to change.

If not IE, use GPO to update the firewall rules or the specific hives in the registry.

Monday, July 27, 2015 3:41 PM
  • Hi HReeH,

You can refer the following similar thread:

I want to disable Internet access to user using GPO

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/455b4305-8783-46a1-87f6-bb219e765820/i-want-to-disable-internet-access-to-user-using-gpo

More related third party article:

Restricting Specific Web Sites in Internet Explorer Using Group Policy

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles-tutorials/authentication_and_encryption/Restricting-Specific-Web-Sites-Internet-Explorer-Using-Group-Policy.html

I’m glad to be of help to you!

*** This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet. ***

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 30, 2015 9:02 AM