none
Can't clear restrictions, can't uninstall, can't reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• I could not remove user restrictions with the SteadyState UI, even though it seemed to do so.  I uninstalled SteadyState using Add or Remove Programs.  The restrictions remained.  I have tried unsucessfully a number of times to reinstall SteadyState; the installation completes, the Validation step completes, everything finishes, and it's ready to use!

When I double-click the SteadyState icon, I get an error message saying that Steady State is not installed correctly and needs to be repaired or reinstalled.  I can accomplish neither.

What next?
    • Edited by bbearren Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:13 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:47 PM

Answers

• I finally got that straightened out.  I used Revouninstaller to uninstall Steady State.  I then used the registry editor to remove all vestiges and references to Steady State, used the net user command to remove the time restrictions, then reinstalled Steady State and it started working correctly.
    • Marked as answer by bbearren Saturday, March 20, 2010 7:55 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 8:28 PM

All replies

• Is there an option to repair SS from the Add/Remove list of installed programs? I know there is a way to repair SS but I can't remember the steps. Hopefully Sean or other moderator will respond soon.

Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:40 PM
  • Hi, thanks for the post. Regarding the error message, I suggest you first try the suggestions in the following threads:

I crashed SS

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/de4e2e8c-909a-46cf-b009-186a1bf41900/

Possible solution for several SteadyState issues

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/e03e6fb7-a8a2-4f07-a68a-3ea20d32401c

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, July 31, 2009 7:13 AM
  • The links were of no use.  I don't have the registry keys listed, so I can't delete them.  I don't have the cache file, so I can't delete it, either.  I still have the restrictions on my son's account, and no way to edit/remove them.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:10 PM
  • I finally got that straightened out.  I used Revouninstaller to uninstall Steady State.  I then used the registry editor to remove all vestiges and references to Steady State, used the net user command to remove the time restrictions, then reinstalled Steady State and it started working correctly.
    • Marked as answer by bbearren Saturday, March 20, 2010 7:55 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 8:28 PM