Need help with SCSI drivers: AHA-2940UW or Sym8751D/LSI8751D RRS feed

• Question

• I own two SCSI cards: the Adaptec AHA-2940UW and the Symbios Sym8751D (currently maintaned as the LSI8751D).  I'd really rather not replace them, but if I must I will.

Windows Vista x64 recognizes the Sym8751D (something I've been unable to get it to do with the Adaptec card).  When installing the card, it recognizes it, installs the drivers for it after prompting, and finishes the install, and the OS continues to function normally.  However, the OS will not shut down (goes into endless loop of the shutdown screen) after driver installation, nor will it boot up properly again afterwards.  I go to Last Known Good Configuration, and it boots up properly.

Any suggestions?  If the LSI drivers that ship with the Beta don't work, anywhere else I can look?  Anybody else encountered the same problem?
    Saturday, July 8, 2006 12:56 AM

All replies

• I don't think the 2940 is supported by Vista.  I suggest getting something in the 29160 family off of ebay.  Replacing my 2940U2W with a like-new 29160N was a drop-in upgrade that cost me about $25.

I don't know anything about the Sym8751D, but your best bet would probably be a multichannel Adaptec card, 29160 or later.  A lot of these older scsi adapters are being decomissioned and are very cheap on the used market.

Saturday, July 8, 2006 3:05 AM