none
SRT BMR not finishing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using DPM SRT to backup/recover BareMetal for W2k3 servers. So far this had worked quite fine but my last try was no success. I started the recovery and I see the DPM System recovery Tool Rollback Wizard but the progress bar stays at 11%. I am waiting now since close to 4 hours and no progress. The last couple of times I did a Bare metal it was finished after 2 hours. It is still running but I don't think that it will complete.

Does anyone know what I could try? Where to look for log files to find out the reason for this?

Monday, September 26, 2011 8:16 AM

Answers

• Hello,

From the error message "ntldr missing" it seems that the install was corrupt and\or recovery point was corrupt. Can you restore from an earlier recovery point for this server? I'm also wondering if the very first backup is valid.  The RPProcessor takes 1MB chunks from the target server and builds a list of files and registry entries that should be backed up. It then compares against a list of files already backed up and compares\updates it.  If after an attempted restore you get "ntldr missing" either:

a.) the recovery point itself is corrupt
    OR
    b.) the restore itself was interrupted, stopped or hardware issue

This is just my guess though.  Unfortunately SRT has little troubleshooting built in other than the event log.  You can use dbgview which may offer a little insight: DBGVIEW - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx

Can the SRT server access the admin$ share of the client machine when logged in as the user under whose credentials the SRT backups are happenning?
    Can the SRT server remotely query the Service Control Manager of the client machine (you can do a sc commond to query the status of a service remotely on the client) from a command prompt on the target server type: "Sc \\<protectedServerName> query"
    Is there a firewall enabled on the client machine?

Thanks
    Shane

Monday, October 3, 2011 1:22 PM

All replies

• Update: after around 8 hours the process finally completed. The restore was not sucessfully. When trying to start the machine I receive an error message saying ntldr missing... So I guess the restore was incomplete. I did not see any error message in the Recovery Center. At said successfully completed.

Anyone any ideas what I could check? Does DPM SRT write temporary data somewhere? Do I need space in the drive where all my recovery points are stored or do I need space on DPM installation folder for the restore (for temporary files).

Monday, September 26, 2011 12:32 PM
  • Hello,

From the error message "ntldr missing" it seems that the install was corrupt and\or recovery point was corrupt. Can you restore from an earlier recovery point for this server? I'm also wondering if the very first backup is valid.  The RPProcessor takes 1MB chunks from the target server and builds a list of files and registry entries that should be backed up. It then compares against a list of files already backed up and compares\updates it.  If after an attempted restore you get "ntldr missing" either:

a.) the recovery point itself is corrupt
    OR
    b.) the restore itself was interrupted, stopped or hardware issue

This is just my guess though.  Unfortunately SRT has little troubleshooting built in other than the event log.  You can use dbgview which may offer a little insight: DBGVIEW - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx

Can the SRT server access the admin$ share of the client machine when logged in as the user under whose credentials the SRT backups are happenning?
    Can the SRT server remotely query the Service Control Manager of the client machine (you can do a sc commond to query the status of a service remotely on the client) from a command prompt on the target server type: "Sc \\<protectedServerName> query"
    Is there a firewall enabled on the client machine?

Thanks
    Shane

Monday, October 3, 2011 1:22 PM