none
Quick question about Exchange 2010 DAG and scenario

Question

• I currently have 1 exchange 2010 server in a single site (office). I'd like to add another exchange server in a remote site (data center) but the connection is only 100MB.

I would like the CAS to go through the exchange 2010 server in the DC but for performance, I would want the clients in the office to be communicating with the local server and data to replicate between the 2 sites.

Is this scenario supported?

The end results is to give the clients in the office better reliability in the event of a disruption in power or internet.

Thank you

Thursday, May 10, 2018 1:36 PM

All replies

• When I parse through the post it sound to me like you just want a second server in your "DC" site as a potential fail/switchover box. Along those lines it sounds like you want to replicate the data on the "Office" site server to the server in the "DC" site, in case you need to redirect your users there during a failure of some kind.

If that's the case you're talking about a rather straightforward deployment of a Database Availability Group, or DAG, where your mailbox databases have copies deployed and replicated between multiple servers participating in that DAG. In other words, Server1 at Office and Server 2 at DC are both set up as DAG member servers. Once they are in the DAG a database on one of them can be replicated to the other. In the event of a disaster you would need to follow a certain set of datacenter failover/switchover steps so that your users will connect to the CAS services at the DC site instead of the Office site.

If that sounds like what your after, then the answer to your question about the bandwidth between the two sites is the insufferable "it depends". It's a function of utilization on that connection, the anticipated increase in utilization expected, and the latency. Bandwidth isn't so important as much as latency is . . . the bottom line is how quickly packets can get through, which may not be a problem on a low-bandwidth connection if there isn't much traffic on it.

Does this make sense, or have I missed the gist of your questions in part or entirely?

Thursday, May 10, 2018 6:48 PM
  • Hi jzx2sr,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 9:47 AM