Creating a standalone MSI file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I would like to be able to turn a sequence into an installer package, or MSI file.  Is this possible with the App V sequencer?  I'd like to have the MSI file as a standalone end product if that was at all possible.

I've used softgrid and now App V before for application virtualization on terminal servers and enjoyed it, but now I'm back looking after a FAT network.  I have a situation where I need to install a series of utilities, ODBC drivers, etc, make some directory changes, make some ODBC connections (about 24 of them).  I need to do the same setup on every computer that comes my way.

What would be great is if I could do this once on a clean win2k machine - capture all the changes with something like our Sequencer - and then make an MSI or other executable out of it that I can then throw on all the computers that come our departments way.

Is this something the AppV Sequencer can help me with?  Or is there another tool trhat would help me make MSI's in this way?

Kind regards

Tim Bartlam

Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:58 PM

Answers

• The App-V client is a required component of running App-V virtualised applications.

Other products do have a "client-less" deployment (the client is baked into the packaged application and runs entirely in the user's context). This method means that there are applications that you won't be able to virtualise using those products.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Marked as answer by Binary Stylus Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:52 PM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:38 PM

All replies

• Hello,

As of 4.6 SP1 an .MSI is generated at every save of a package.

See this page;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd367803.aspx 

/Znack
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Hi thanks for the super fast reply - I know - I saw the MSI and was really excited.  Problem is - is that that MSI wants to have an AppV client installed on the target system.  And I don't really want to do that - I actually want to get the "Sequence" that was recorded to get played out on all the target machines.

Prehaps I just can't do it.

I'm reading the above technet article you linked.

Tim

Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:06 PM
  • Hello,

The strategy from Microsoft and previously Softricity has been to not integrate everything into a single installer.  
    /Znack
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:26 PM
  • The App-V client is a required component of running App-V virtualised applications.

Other products do have a "client-less" deployment (the client is baked into the packaged application and runs entirely in the user's context). This method means that there are applications that you won't be able to virtualise using those products.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Marked as answer by Binary Stylus Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:52 PM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:38 PM