Where are the Project Plans in MOF RRS feed

• General discussion

• I work in a state government IT shop. We are planning to use MOF to develop (or improve) our Change and Configuration Management Process. It is my hope that this will be the first in a series of IT Process Improvement projects.

I am looking for a project plan for implementing the MOF Change and Configuration Service Management Function (SMF). I need to develop a draft work plan with time and resource estimates in order to get a Go-decision from leadership and to be able to plan. I want this first one to be a successful project and being a good project manager I want to start with a good plan. I was hoping for a jumpstart.

I was surprised not to find any Microsoft project files on implementing anything in MOF. Or, project summaries that show a work breakdown structure (WBS) and some sequencing of tasks. We can always shuffle the WBS, but it is nice to have a starting point. After deciding scope, the difficult part is figuring out what can be down in parallel, what can’t and what shouldn’t. Some recommendations on resources needed and time estimates would be a great addition. (I have read the "Getting Started with MOF", the overviews, and most of the other MOF documentation.)

I think an example project plan for each SMF would be a great help to us implementers. Do you have any I can follow? I am willing to contribute some once we get started. My thinking is that being more project-centric would be good for MOF on a few levels.  Please let me know your thoughts.

Best wishes, -->Rob
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Godbero,

Maybe you can use Job Aids to start:

Link for Download (~42 Mb)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/5/8/658BC1E9-E262-45CA-BB6E-E87C058BBD37/IT%20Pro%20Quick%20Start%20Kit.zip

Take a look on Scenarios for Applying MOF Job Aid document.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Cleber Marques

Microsoft MVP & MCT | Charter Member: SCVMM & MDOP
    MOF Brazil Project: Simplifying IT Service Management
    My Blog | MOF.com.br | CleberMarques.com | CanalSystemCenter.com.br
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:20 AM
  • Hello,

The new Scenarios in "Getting Started with MOF 4.0" do have one aimed at my project; Scenario 5: We Need a Better Way to Move Changes into Production. I am studying it now.

This is helpful, because some of the questions about what to leave out or put into my Change Management Process project are addressed.

I still think a Project format with WBS, work plan, etc. would make it easier to mix and match scope. I'll try to post what we develop.

Thanks for the help,

-->Rob

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:47 PM
  • Hello,

I did review "Getting Started with MOF 4.0" Scenario 5: We Need a Better Way to Move Changes into Production. I used the numbered sections in the scenario to make my first draft WBS. I tried to copy it here, but it was too messy. I'll try to find time to format something for a post.

I was surprised to find the only overt mention of project activities was under number 2, Patch Management Improvement. Here they list the CIO sponsoring a kick-off meeting for the SUM project. Patching is a project, but Establishing Change and Configuration Practices is not for some reason.

These scenarios are a good perpective, especially the role-based reminders to me as a project manager, but not a substitute for project management info. I don't know about other places, but here I need a project to use MOF to formalize and improve our chnage mangement process.

Best wishes, -->Rob
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:17 PM