Urgent Help please RRS feed

• Question

• Im not sure if this is the right forum, it seemed the most appropriate. Should it be the incorrect one, could a moderator kindly move it thanks.

Right, onto the problem.
    I bought home a USB stick from my friend today, containing some helpful coursework guidance. I plug the USB stick in and get the usual message (installing driver etc). after it has completed I open my computer, look for the device and alas, it isn't there. Great. So I navigated to my device manager, check the usb controller and noticed something out of the ordinary. It seems that a Realtek USB card reader driver has been installed in place of the regular USB mass storage that should be installed at first plugin. Fair enough I thought, after about a minute of careful thinking I came to a solution. I decided to change the driver manually. I navigated to the USB Mass storage device (I have double checked it was the right driver) and pressed install. Perfect, i thought and took a moment to bathe in the glory of my awesomeness. Not so much. After about 10 seconds of installing the new correct driver my computer froze and displayed perhaps my least favourite windows screen, I am refering, of course, to the wonderfully coined "Blue screen of death". Great, so now I am stuck with a dodgy 'wannabe card reader' USB stick. Any solutions for this, my logic has been drained.

Sorry about the sarcasm, as you can imagine, im not in the greatest of mood ^___^

Any helpful advice would be great.

Thanks,

George
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 7:23 PM

Answers

• You may want enter Device Manager, view the proparties of the "wannabe card reader", click the Details tab and select Hardware Ids from the drop-down menu. This will show the special string that identifies the device. Based on that information the driver is being chosen. Search the web for this Hardware ID and check what comes up.
    Additionally, you may want to take a look at c:\windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log. This file contains information on all the driver installs/uninstalls. It also states why Windows has chosen to use the particular driver and where did it get it.
    I would suggest to stick to the previous driver Windows has chosen to install (the Realtek one). When you plug the device again, check if it appears in Device Manager. If so, right-click on the Computer icon on the Desktop or in the Start menu and select Manage. This will bring the Computer Management console. Click the Disk Management section and see if there is any additional drive aside from those you already have (currently you probably have a hard disk drive, CD/DVD drive). If there is one then right-click on the white rectangle next to it that represents a partition and select the Change drive letters and path to assign it a drive letter. If it has a letter assigned already then try to change it to something else.
    If you get the bluescreen every time you connect the "wannabe card reader" that may be because of incorrect driver is being used. Don't plug the device, close any Device Manager windows, open Command Prompt as an administrator (right-click on the icon and choose the appropriate option). In the Command Prompt window enter
    set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    then in the same windows enter devmgmt.msc
    This will bring up the Device Manager. When you click the View -> Show hidden devices option all the devices that are not currently connected will appear. Search for the device that causes the problem and remove (uninstall) it. Next time you plug it in Windows should load the previous driver.

• Edited by Emkay1001 Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:51 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by B1G D4DDY Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:11 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:50 PM

All replies

• Bump?
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 11:17 AM
  • You may want enter Device Manager, view the proparties of the "wannabe card reader", click the Details tab and select Hardware Ids from the drop-down menu. This will show the special string that identifies the device. Based on that information the driver is being chosen. Search the web for this Hardware ID and check what comes up.
    Additionally, you may want to take a look at c:\windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log. This file contains information on all the driver installs/uninstalls. It also states why Windows has chosen to use the particular driver and where did it get it.
    I would suggest to stick to the previous driver Windows has chosen to install (the Realtek one). When you plug the device again, check if it appears in Device Manager. If so, right-click on the Computer icon on the Desktop or in the Start menu and select Manage. This will bring the Computer Management console. Click the Disk Management section and see if there is any additional drive aside from those you already have (currently you probably have a hard disk drive, CD/DVD drive). If there is one then right-click on the white rectangle next to it that represents a partition and select the Change drive letters and path to assign it a drive letter. If it has a letter assigned already then try to change it to something else.
    If you get the bluescreen every time you connect the "wannabe card reader" that may be because of incorrect driver is being used. Don't plug the device, close any Device Manager windows, open Command Prompt as an administrator (right-click on the icon and choose the appropriate option). In the Command Prompt window enter
    set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    then in the same windows enter devmgmt.msc
    This will bring up the Device Manager. When you click the View -> Show hidden devices option all the devices that are not currently connected will appear. Search for the device that causes the problem and remove (uninstall) it. Next time you plug it in Windows should load the previous driver.

• Edited by Emkay1001 Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:51 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by B1G D4DDY Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:11 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:50 PM
  • thanks for your reply! I tried all these things, and , although they are all helpful and valid advice none of them did the trick. fortunately, ive managed to change the driver after about 6 failed attempts.

thank you for your time.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:14 PM
  • Now that you have changed the driver can you see access the drive? If not please post the hardware ID of the device and I'll see what I can dig up.
    It is possible that the device you have is actually a memory card reader with memory card in it. I've seen a few of these and they look like USB pendrives, yet you can easily exchange the memory card inside.
    It's possible (although unlikely) that Windows is obtaining the driver via Windows Update and... it just might not be the proper one. Connect the device and enter Device Manager, right-click on the device and click uninstall. A confirmation window will pop up. If you see the Delete the driver software for this device checkbox then that means that the driver used is not the one that came with Windows Vista. In that case yo may want to disable the automatic download of the driver via Windows Update by entering Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Hardware tab -> Windows Update Driver Settings. Select an option not to check for drivers when you connect the device. Afterwards uninstall the device with Delete the driver software for this device checkbox selected. Then reconnect the device again. If it's anything that Windows has drivers for "in the box" then they should get installed.
    Hope it helps (this time).

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 10:29 PM