Computer connection via Ethernet RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have a bit of a problem here, and I cannot seem to figure out what the issue is. After doing what I've done, I'm guess it's a bad drop. Anyways, I try connecting a laptop (have tried multiple laptops) via ethernet so that I may gain access to our Domain and get out to the internet. I get "Limited or no connectivity" everytime on the laptop. It sends packets, but does not receive... I have used a different cable, different drop and then it works fine with both. I have changed the mbps from 100 to 10, full and half duplex, still nothing. The thing that confuses me, is that our Cisco IP Phone 7940 will work on that same drop..

Some information that may be helpful, is that the laptop is already on the domain, just cannot connect when using that drop. Windows XP is the operating system being utilized. Works with a different drop, using both the same cable and a different cable. Cisco phone uses that drop fine.

Friday, May 13, 2011 1:22 PM

Answers

• What is the IP that you get when it connects but doeswnt work, and what IP do you get when you connect (different drop) and then it works?

My guess is that you are plugging in to the Voice port. Your network folks configured it as such. And not configured for computers. Only phones.

Send the IP info to confirm.

*alex
    • Proposed as answer by Alex Cohen Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:17 PM
    Monday, May 16, 2011 1:08 PM