compatibility view GPO not take effect in IE10 RRS feed

• Question

• Posted the question on GPO forum but decided to ask on IE forum because somebody could experience and know IE10 specific problem. DCs are 2008 Functional Level 2003. Latest ADMXs in place.

Description:

I added contoso.com in

Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Internet Explorer / Compatibility View / show contents

GPO applied on workstation.

When check  Compatibility View in IE it is empty. I guess it should appear there if GPO applied and not permitted for deletion.

HAVE TO add that the test is on W7 with IE10(64bit) installed on top of IE8

What could be a problem?

thx.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Friday, January 30, 2015 9:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Depending on your approach, it is expected that the User Interface (UI) will *NOT* show CV entries provided via GP:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/asiatech/archive/2014/08/19/how-to-add-sub-domain-into-compatibility-view-list.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Monday, February 2, 2015 9:46 AM
    Saturday, January 31, 2015 6:03 AM
  • thanks Don.

will check Monday for real application ... and update. Logically, IE10 should not be an issue.

I just remember that couple of days ago my colleague complained that proxy setting didn't applied to IE10 but for IE8 and 9 yes.  

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Saturday, January 31, 2015 8:18 PM
  • Hi,

Where did you check its list?

If you enable it via group policy, However, it does not get reflected in IE user interface.

You just access that website you added to compatibility list, and then press F12, you will see this configuration:

Fir more information, please read this blog:

How to add web site to Compatibility View List via GPO

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/asiatech/archive/2013/10/23/how-to-add-web-site-to-compatibility-view-list-via-gpo.aspx

For proxy issue, it still can be applied, detailed method is below:

How to apply “The content of IE Settings” in GPO (which used IEM (IE Maintenance) before IE10) to IE10+ Version since IEM have been deprecated from IE10

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/asiatech/archive/2014/05/12/how-to-apply-the-content-of-ie-settings-in-gpo-which-used-iem-ie-maintenance-before-ie10-to-ie10-version-since-iem-has-been-deprecated-begin-from-ie10.aspx

Internet Explorer 10 proxy setting in a Group Policy Object is corrupted

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2928422

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Karen Hu Monday, February 2, 2015 9:53 AM update
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Monday, February 2, 2015 1:18 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2015 9:46 AM
  • Thanks Karen!

I'll test it and update. Sure that this is the solution.

Monday, February 2, 2015 1:19 PM
  • had a chance to access the app needed (it is protected, USB key is needed). It works fine with compatibility view applied by GPO.

Thanks again for the links about Proxy GPO

Monday, February 2, 2015 3:59 PM
  • Another inconvenience found.

When accessing the site in question (with applied GPO) pop up coming up.

It asks if ActiveX for (site) in Compatibility View is allowed.

So now I need to enable another GPO for ActiveX but I need to apply it for this particular site.

I found this, but how to declare one site only:

choose a method of deployment

Decide if you want your group policy to be a Computer or User policy.  The policy exists on both.

Go to either User or Computer and navigate to Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel\Security Page\ (Then select the zone the webpage loads from: Local Machine, Trusted-Sites, Internet)

Enable the policy

Find and enable the following:

1. Download Signed ActiveX Controls Enable (Don’t select Prompt)
    2. Download UnSigned ActiveX Controls Enable

Saturday, February 7, 2015 3:00 AM
  • So now I need to enable another GPO for ActiveX but I need to apply it for this particular site.

I found this, but how to declare one site only:

choose a method of deployment

Decide if you want your group policy to be a Computer or User policy.  The policy exists on both.

Go to either User or Computer and navigate to Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel\Security Page\ (Then select the zone the webpage loads from: Local Machine, Trusted-Sites, Internet)

Enable the policy

Find and enable the following:

1. Download Signed ActiveX Controls Enable (Don’t select Prompt)
    2. Download UnSigned ActiveX Controls Enable

I think these settings are only able to be applied to a "zone" (e.g. Trusted Sites, etc), so, you would need to consider configuring the relevant settings for ActiveX behaviour for a zone, and then, ensure the necessary site/URL is placed into that particular zone.

You should also consider, if you lower the security settings for a zone, is it still ok for users to decide which zone a site/URL will be zoned into (i.e. consider if you need to restrict users ability to place sites into Trusted Sites zone), since a user could place a malicious site into Trusted Sites, and the lower settings you apply to that zone could lead to a compromised machine).

Consider these configurations as part of your security settings management plan...

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Saturday, February 7, 2015 9:19 AM
    Saturday, February 7, 2015 9:18 AM