none
Group Policy Deployment for Specific URLs

Question

• I work for a school district with about 80 locations, and we have purchased an online time clock product that requires us to figure out the best way to deliver the following:

1 or 2 dedicated PCs at each site will be kiosks and will be required to launch a kiosk specific URL on boot up.  For example, the kiosk in the break room will launch a url ending in '=7701' and the kiosk in the mail room will launch a URL that is identical, but instead ends in '=7702'

1 or 2 additional PCs at each site will need to be delivered a desktop shortcut that launches a URL specific to that PC.  Similar to above, but I don't want to set the default home page or auto launch it...just a shortcut to it on the desktop.  For example, the kitchen PC would have a desktop shortcut pointing to a url ending in '=6623' and the custodial PC would have a desktop shortcut pointing to a url ending in '=5575'

Before, we had one URL for all time clock kiosks, and so I set up a specific OU for all district timeclock PCs and created associated a group policy / loopback policy so that they automatically log in and launch the same URL.  Now that the URLs need to be distinct, I'm struggling to figure out a way to do this that doesn't require a lot of work.

Is there a good way around having to put each kiosk in its own OU with its own policy?  I could use an environment variable and set it to the unique part of the URL, and then reference the variable in the group policy, but won't I still need a distinct policy for each of these OUs that sets the unique environment variable.

Any sage advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Kristine

Monday, October 5, 2015 4:07 PM

Answers

• I would use Group Policy Registry preferences for this.  I'm not sure what browser you are using but if you are using IE you would set the registry key HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel\Start Page

You would add an item level target to each registry preference and either link that preference to a computer name, security group, other some other filtering item. Copy that preference and paste it into the GPO as many times as you need. Change the start page value and the ILT to match your desired homepage.

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: Deploy Happiness

• Marked as answer by girl_from_ID Thursday, October 15, 2015 3:19 PM
    Monday, October 5, 2015 4:34 PM
  • > You would add an item level target to each registry preference and

Agree with that. In addition, I'd leverage an unused attribute of the
    computer account (employeeID comes to mind) and store the variable part
    of the URL in that attribute.

Then in a user GPP registry Item where I set the IE homepage (or the
    parameters of the desktop shortcut), I do ILT with an LDAP filter that
    queries the computer account and fetches the value of the selected
    attribute into a variable.

I would NOT create a distinct registry item for each URL :)

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Tuesday, October 6, 2015 10:49 AM

All replies

• I would use Group Policy Registry preferences for this.  I'm not sure what browser you are using but if you are using IE you would set the registry key HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel\Start Page

You would add an item level target to each registry preference and either link that preference to a computer name, security group, other some other filtering item. Copy that preference and paste it into the GPO as many times as you need. Change the start page value and the ILT to match your desired homepage.

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: Deploy Happiness

Monday, October 5, 2015 4:34 PM
  • > You would add an item level target to each registry preference and

Agree with that. In addition, I'd leverage an unused attribute of the
    computer account (employeeID comes to mind) and store the variable part
    of the URL in that attribute.

Then in a user GPP registry Item where I set the IE homepage (or the
    parameters of the desktop shortcut), I do ILT with an LDAP filter that
    queries the computer account and fetches the value of the selected
    attribute into a variable.

I would NOT create a distinct registry item for each URL :)

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Tuesday, October 6, 2015 10:49 AM