none
"The application has failed to start because the side by side configuration is incorrect." RRS feed

• Question

• Right, I am trying to open photos using Windows Photo Gallery Photo Viewing. And whenever I try to it comes up with the message;
    "Error Loading C:/Programme Files\Windows Photo Gallery\Photo Viewer.dll
    The application has failed to start because the side by side configuration is incorrect. Please see event log for more details."
    I haven't changed anything on my laptop since last using this basic programme.
    Also, I'm not very computer literate so could you please answer in the simplest terms possile.
    Thank you,
    Hannah x
    • Moved by Nancy Shao Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:53 AM not vc quetion (From:Visual C++ General)
    Monday, November 16, 2009 12:49 PM

All replies

• Try navigating to http://update.microsoft.com to patch your OS, and cross your fingers.

Your question is off-topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Visual C++ questions.

Good luck.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 3:32 PM
  • This is a bit off topic, but this typically means one or more of the versionable modules needed for this program are not installed correctly.    I ran into a similar problem last week.  I know you said nothing changed, but I figure it's worth asking ... did you install any of the recent updates to Visual Studio 2008?  If so you may want to try backing some of those out or finding versions of http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=32bc1bee-a3f9-4c13-9c99-220b62a191ee&displaylang=en using Google and try installing them to see which one fixes the problem.  You could also open the DLL using Notepad (I know sounds weird, but it works) and go to the bottom using Ctrl+End to see which versions the manifest says it needs.  It's tough to pick out the numbers on some programs, but it may help.

Other than that you may have to run a repair on your OS install since this message is often caused by a virus of spyware program as well.

Tom
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:34 PM
  • Hi Hannah x,

I'm moving this thread to "Off- Topic" Forum, since this issue is little related to Visual C++.

Best Regards,
    Nancy
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:52 AM