none
Project Schedule ongoing construction updates RRS feed

• Question

• I'm sure this has been answered before, but I can't seem to find it.  I have my overall project schedule done.  As this project is ongoing, how can I show what tasks are late, early, split, % complete without the schedule changing my original dates?  I would like to note what is late or taking longer than anticipated or early so I can see the difference on the schedule.  Right now I basically have two schedules and compare them.  I would think that there would be a way to show this on one schedule, I'm just not sure how to do it.  Thanks. 
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 5:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'd advice you to save a baseline of your project. Thus you could display your current schedule versus the baselined one easily using the format tab.

See reference below with a MPUG article that explains quite well the baseline concept :

http://www.mpug.com/articles/baselining-best-practices/

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 5:26 PM
  • JWLTC --

There are three things you will need to do to meet your analysis needs:

• As my colleague Guillaume has already stated, you must save a Baseline in your project.  When you do this, Microsoft Project will save the current values for the Duration, Start, Finish, Work, and Cost fields for every task in their Baseline counterparts (Baseline Duration, Baseline Start, etc.).
    • Once you have saved a Baseline, then you need to begin entering task progress.  Assuming you are using Microsoft Project 2010 or 2013, apply the Gantt Chart view and then click View > Tables > Tracking to apply the task Tracking table.  In the Tracking table, you can manually enter progress for your tasks using fields like Actual Start, % Complete, and Actual Finish, for example.  You will periodically need to reschedule uncompleted work from the past into the current reporting period as well.
    • After you enter progress for each reporting period, apply the Tracking Gantt view.  This view will allow you to compare the current schedule (red and blue Gantt bars) against the original Baseline schedule (gray Gantt bars) so that you can graphically see if the project is slipping.  While in this view, you can click View > Tables and select the Variance table (which will show date variance), the Work table (which will show work variance), and the Cost table (which will show Cost variance).

Based on the variance you see, you may need to revise your schedule.  To, if I were you, I would stop trying to use two different schedules for your projects and use the preceding process instead.  It will be way less work, believe me!  :)  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 9:53 PM