Is user capable of maintaining his/her own user profiles without MySite on? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello all,

I am new to Sharepoint, having been playing with it for less than a month.

I am wondering if user can manage their own user profile without having the MySite feature available to them. I do know there is a "Manage user profiles" in the permission settings but that is not for individual user.

I have been searching through the web for awhile and could not find anything much information on this. I do know that it is possible with custom code/addon but is it possible to do it without those custom code/addon?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:56 PM

Answers

• Out of the box (meaning no coding on your part), the only options that I know of are the My Site, or "Manager User profiles" in the SSP.

User Profiles can pull from your Active Directory profile information, or a third party system (by using BDC and mappings).  Or you can create your own "edit profile" webpart which would have to use the UserProfileManager class to get the user profile you want to edit, and then change the different attributes that you want.
    • Proposed as answer by Alcius Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Sunday, February 8, 2009 9:22 AM
    Monday, June 30, 2008 12:05 AM

All replies

• Out of the box (meaning no coding on your part), the only options that I know of are the My Site, or "Manager User profiles" in the SSP.

User Profiles can pull from your Active Directory profile information, or a third party system (by using BDC and mappings).  Or you can create your own "edit profile" webpart which would have to use the UserProfileManager class to get the user profile you want to edit, and then change the different attributes that you want.
    • Proposed as answer by Alcius Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Sunday, February 8, 2009 9:22 AM
    Monday, June 30, 2008 12:05 AM
  • Tony,

Thank you for clarifying this to me. I did more research on the webparts and in the end our company decided to enable the MySite feature to allow user to modify their own information.

Alcius

Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:12 PM