Office 365 Word Error: File is corrupt and cannot be opened. Error: Word found unreadable content - Do you want to recover the contents. Trust source click yes. RRS feed

  • Question

  • I click to open a word file and receive this error: 'The Open XML file "filenamehere" cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents or the file name might contain invalid characters (for example, \/). Details: The file is corrupt and cannot be opened'

    And which point I click "OK" And then get another box: 'Word found unreadable content in "filenamehere" Do you want to recover the contents of this document? If you trust the source of this document, click Yes.'

    I click yes, and the document opens fine but under a generic "document1" sort of title and I have to resave it. 

    This is what Word on my Mac is doing for nearly every single file in my entire computer and on the network. It doesn't seem to matter where the file is, how old it is, or how i format a file name (because I have tried everything, from just text, to underscores instead of dashes, to periods in place of spaces, to no spaces at all and just text). Files that USED to open, are no longer opening until I go through the process of acknowledging the warnings and then resaving the file under a different name. (which those newly saved files will also not open the next time around FYI)

    These same files also don't open on a PC, but please note that the PCs are still using the same version of Word, being the Office 365 version. And actually, it seems that ever since I switched to Office 365 I've had this issue so I'm inclined to think this is the cause since files that used to open, now do not.

    These are all business computers for a small office and the issue NEEDS a solution from Microsoft.  


    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 2:32 PM

All replies

  • Hi Christine,

    >>which those newly saved files will also not open the next time around FYI

    Are these files created from a template? Do you have any macro attached to the template? If so, please try disabling these macros and then create new documents to see the result.

    I noted a similar issue in another forum that was caused due to the reference software Mendeley? Do you have such software installed? If so, please try temporarily uninstall them and then see if this issue continues.

    In addition, here is a similar issue discussed in the following thread. You may have a look at the replies and see if the suggestions mentioned are helpful:


    Please let me know the result.


    Steve Fan

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, January 20, 2017 9:36 AM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:43 AM
  • I am having the same problem on my Windows 10 PC. 
    it is entirely sidelining me during a critical production period!

    Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:30 PM