Vista Business lost keyboard and mouse after MS Updates RRS feed

• Question

• HELP, After automatic updates (yesterday), today multiple pc's have lost their mouse functionality, or both mouse and keyboard. Last known settings, save mode, nothing works! In the Bios I'm able to use the keyboard. Swapped hardware, no results. I want to try a system restore, but how to do without a working mouse and keyboard?

ANY suggestions are highly appriciated!

Regards

Dennis

Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    try this... (for me it`s working)

go to device manager and go to the properties of the unknown device. then click update driver.

click on install manually

next you need to browse to this place

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\

then find the folder that begins with msmouse open then select this folder

in the text box it would look something like

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\msmouse.inf_{Some Id Here}

{ Some Id Here } being the id for your computer

then click next / install

Tomas Pflanzer
    http://mstom.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:41 PM

All replies

• http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3139832&SiteID=17

This thread has the answer.

Seems something in the update has broken the .inf files for many versions of Vista.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

It did not point me for the solution yet. Could be that it persist in the INF files. I'm able to access the c: drives from a remote computer. See that an usbport.pnf resides from March 01 2008. All the desktops are the same and on another this file has not been updated. Can I simply overwrite the file? Or am I not looking in the right direction?

Regards

Dennis

Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:18 AM
  • I tried to do a system restore via the command prompt (in safe mode) but have to logon first. At that point keyboard or mouse input is already impossible.

Noticed a lot changed files from 29 Februari 2008, which probably are installed yesterday (when shutting down). The mouhid.sys and kbdhid.sys are newer, but I can't replace them as they are in use.

Please, any suggestions!

Dennis

Thursday, April 10, 2008 12:47 PM
  • Hi,
    try this... (for me it`s working)

go to device manager and go to the properties of the unknown device. then click update driver.

click on install manually

next you need to browse to this place

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\

then find the folder that begins with msmouse open then select this folder

in the text box it would look something like

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\msmouse.inf_{Some Id Here}

{ Some Id Here } being the id for your computer

then click next / install

Tomas Pflanzer
    http://mstom.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:41 PM
  • I'm happy to do so, if I was able to logon... I'm able to access the c: drive and services via the 2003 box. If there is a way to get RDP activated on the trouble pc (via services, but can't find the right service), I would probably be able to investigate.

But thanks for your effort.

Regards Dennis

Thursday, April 10, 2008 3:04 PM
  • Add another one to the list. I'm pissed as all hell and I really need my machine up and running.

Initial symptoms:

Came home to find a desktop up and ready, but no mouse or keyboard functionality. Last thing before I went work last night was to allow Vista to update. BAD MOVE apparently. Booted, was able to login - but no mouse. Checked the device tab for yellow or red problems in drivers portion of the system settings. NOTHING there. NO error messages anywhere, unlike some who have seen some error messages.

Chucked my logitech *** in the corner thinking they were the problem. Hooked up a known working PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard. Boots up with the keyboard working before windows loads (works in the BIOS menu, F8 works too). But when windows loads, the keyboard locks up (can't NUM Lock, CAPS, or anything). I get my login screen, I CANNOT LOGIN!!. Mouse cursor works for 2 minutes, then disappears.

I'm basically screwed six ways to Sunday--as Safe mode doesn't help (requires password, CANNOT TYPE!!!), and 'last known config' doesn't help either. Tried booting with my Vista CD, doesn't see any restore points (I NEVER DISABLED IT).

BUT, they keyboard works when I boot with the Vista CD and can go to the command prompt. What do I have to delete or do to the INF's to get this working?

I don't know what to do, and I need this machine up and running. Thinking of upgrading to XP as well (yes, upgrade). Y'all that don't use a password may have been lucky here, because if you can get a mouse to work, you can atleast navigate with that. Without keyboard functionality, you're screwed.

What in the ever living god compelled microsoft to update the keyboard and mouse drivers? What the hell needs to be enhanced here? Security hole in my mouse that allows hackers in to control my PC? Give me a break. PS2 and USB keyboards and mice are, lets face it, old technology that I would think has been standardized by now.

Microsoft is going to make me buy a Mac, and I hate Macs. The latest "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads have it dead on with the girl throwing a fit at the gong.

Basics:

Logitech mouse and keyboard (wireless) - USB with plug in port for power, and a PS2 mouse connection.
    Tried old PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard.
    Vista Home Premium (my *** premium) 64-bit
    4000+ AMD
    MSI K8N motherboard
    2gb OCZ memory
    evga 6600gt video card
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:26 PM
  • I concur with betelgeuse.  a hint:With the mouse you go to cntl panel and bring up the on-screen keyboard thru ease of use. painful, but it works.  i have the same roblem with  usb keyboard and tht's what i'm using while i figurethis out

Sunday, April 13, 2008 4:26 PM