Disable pre creation of My Music and My Videos for new users in Server 2008 r2. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone has figured out how to stop the precreation of the my music, my saved games and or my videos folders in the users profile.

I'm using mandatory profiles and simply deleting the folders from the mandatory profile is not enough. I've also tried using the disable known folders group policy to achieve this with no success.

I find that even with my videos and my music disabled using the CLSID's highlighted here (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb762584%28VS.85%29.aspx) the folders are still created on login.

As this will be an RDS environment the users we would like to avoid users saving movies and or music to their work directories.

Friday, April 29, 2011 11:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

I recommend you audit the folder creation to find out why the folder is created.

Meanwhile, this forum is focused on Windows 7 usage-related question, please also ask this question in Windows Server forum.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, May 6, 2011 6:54 AM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

I recommend you audit the folder creation to find out why the folder is created.

Meanwhile, this forum is focused on Windows 7 usage-related question, please also ask this question in Windows Server forum.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, May 6, 2011 6:54 AM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:07 AM
  • Sorry to drag this up from the dead.

To answer this:

If you want to stop these folders for mandatory profiles:

• enable the "disable known folders" group policy, add the clsid for the folder.
    • remove the folder(s) from the mandatory folder.
    • remove reference to these folders from the registry under HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shellfolders and Usershellfolders

if you want to stop these folders for new user profiles:

• enable the "disable known folders" group policy, add the clsid for the folder
    • remove the folder(s) from the default user profile on the local system.
    Overall a messy solution, but the only one available to me.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:50 AM