none
DB2 Adapter: The initial catalog is invalid or contains invalid characters RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am trying to configure the DB2 adapter on BizTalk ports. The initial catalog field doesn't allow any name with dot ['.'] character. 

The database server has hostname with dots e.g. abc.co.nz

I have tried updating hosts file at 'C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc' with an entry of IP address and hostname without special characters. It allows to telnet and ping from command prompt but DB2 adapter keeps saying:

Could not connect to data source 'New Data Source':
    The host resource could not be found. Check that the Initial Catalog value matches the host resource name.

I am able to connect to database from IBM data studio with IP address and same user Id/password, so the authorization & authentication issue is ruled out. 

Is there are a workaround for an adapter to accept host name with dots ['.']?

• Edited by Abhijeetg2005 Thursday, March 23, 2017 6:07 AM update error statement
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:16 AM

Answers

• I referred the below link
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa704713%28v=bts.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

and found the description for Initial Catalog which said it is referred as RDBNAME in DB2/400 and it can be determined by using the WRKRDBDIRE command.

In DB2 Universal Database, this property is referred to as DATABASE. Also, the result for below query in IBM Data studio gave same value:
    SELECT CURRENT SERVER FROM SYSIBM.SYSDUMMY1 

where SYSDUMMY1 is specific to the DB2 environment I was pointing to.

Using this DATABASE value in initial catalog led to a successful connection.

So, moral of the story- Initial Catalog in a DB2 world is not the host server name.

• Marked as answer by Abhijeetg2005 Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:12 PM
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:12 PM