none
Project Server 2010 issue after patching to July 2012 CU RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have applied the CU to two dev/test servers and both are experiencing an issue where, while saving/publishing a project from PWA it hangs in the "save job queued" and then comes up with "Operation Still Processing". Prior patching, usually we would only experience this when saving/publishing large projects, which we would then monitor from Manage Queue Jobs. After the patch, the save/publish process doesn't show up in the Job Queue and nothing actually happens. However, when attempting a save/publish from Project Professional it shows in the queue, but it's very slow. It takes something like 30 minutes to complete the operation for a small project. 

    There is nothing obvious in the logs and I have tried restarting servers, running the SharePoint config wizard, restarting the job queue service, using different accounts and nothing seems to work. 

    Thank you!



    Friday, August 31, 2012 8:01 AM

All replies

  • Hi franky234234,

    Please check SQL server logs? If needed can you reboot it?


    Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    Friday, August 31, 2012 3:19 PM
    Moderator
  • Check system time on Project Server and Database server.

    few seconds of offset time impact on queue processing jobs

    Following command can be use to check the time

    net time \\{Replace with computer name}


    Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    Saturday, September 1, 2012 2:48 AM
    Moderator
  • We're seeing something similar in our environment after recent patches.  What we're seeing is that the save process is suddenly taking very long for some projects (on the order of 30-60 minutes).  Gradually, it's coming back down after a couple save events.

    I believe it's something to do with the shadow tables - and how the patch is reprocessing some of the existing shadow tables.

    That being said, we see the project getting passed into the queue pretty quickly, and then the save event getting stuck at 97% for quite a while.  In this case, we've told the users to just close project after transmitting the data, and gradually, performance is improving.

    Note that subprojects or projects with more interproject links seem to demonstrate this behavior more than the "normal" projects.


    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

    Saturday, September 1, 2012 5:53 PM
    Moderator
  • I have tried restarting the Database Server and it made no difference. For one environment the time is exactly the same and on the other the database and Project Server are on the same VM. 

    I'm currently trying the save operation from Project Professional a few times to see if it speeds up. However, the save/publish operation from PWA is still not working.

    Monday, September 3, 2012 2:35 AM
  • execute SP_Updatestats query on all project database to udpate database statistics.


    Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    Monday, September 3, 2012 5:45 AM
    Moderator
  • Thank you for your responses so far!

    After running SP_Updatestats the PWA save still does not work.

    I did run the queries outlined here to see if it would help with the Performance issues: 

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2598007

    We ran the queries outlined above before we patched and that drastically improved performance, but unfortunately now it has had minimal impact. After re-saving the same project numerous times it is still taking an unacceptable amount of time to complete. 

    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 12:50 AM
  • Looks like this is an known issue with June 2012 CU, I have seen another thread  with similar problem

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projserv2010setup/thread/3fcf3417-87b9-422a-9852-b6512217165c


    Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 3:03 AM
    Moderator