Windows update disable automatic reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we have build new servers and handed over the customer, later found that automatic updates are set to "Automatic Install and reboot", and few of the servers got rebooted. as if now we have stopped and disabled the "windows update" service. we want to know by disabled this service, the force restart will also be disabled. these are standalone servers and not configured in WSUS or any other patching tool. Please suggest.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/uncategorized/temporarily-disable-windows-updates-automatic-reboot-in-vista/ 

Srikanth MV

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It would be better to either manually install Windows Updates or to choose when to install. I would not disable updates. Simply open the Windows Update control panel window and set Windows to “Download updates but let me choose whether to install them.” It is good if you have maintenance window.

Another way is to use gpo to disable forced restarts

Navigate to the following path: Computer Configuration\Administrator Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

In the right pane, double-click the “No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic update installations” setting. Set the setting to Enabled and click OK. After reboot the server or run gpupdate /force

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. 
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    (This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread).

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:27 PM
  • Hi Srikanth Manne,

> later found that automatic updates are set to "Automatic Install and reboot",

Nedim has provided a good answer. In addition, I'm a little confuse about "Automatic install and reboot", where do you get this option?

Generally, the AU settings are about "Download" and "Install" behavior.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 8:46 AM