SoundMax Audio Drivers don't work correctly RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SoundMax audio chipset integrated on my ASUS P5VDC-X motherboard. I'm running Vista x64, and Vista, as I had expected, did not come with drivers for this audio chipset. I looked around on the web and tried different Vista x64 drivers for the chipset, but the only one that I found that somewhat worked was AD1988_VISTA_61016030 which ASUS released for this chipset. The problem is that under XP, I can control the speakers with the SoundMax control panel, so I can play 5.1 surround sound for everything. Under Vista, the control panel doesn't exist / doesn't work right, so I'm stuck with only 2 speakers, since I can't control the surround and center speakers (or the subwoofer). Curiously, the system does recognize the surround speakers, since I can make them play the test sound individually from the normal Windows sound control panel, but there is no way to enable the remaining speakers for normal audio playback. The center speaker still doesn't work at all, though.
    If you have any ideas how to solve this, please let me know, I'm actually at a loss here, thinking of getting a PCI sound card that's going to work under Vista.

Thanks!

--Patrick
    http://inmyholyopinion.com
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 1:59 AM

All replies

• I too am having that problem and also need help.

I'm using Windows Vista Businesses Ed. with an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard with an onboard 7.1 capable sound system.  Currently I'm only using a 5.1 configuration, which consists of front speakers, center/subwoofer, and rear speakers--consequently using 3 of the 8 jacks.  When I select which audio configuration I want to use under 'Control Panel -> Sound -> Configure', I am able to successfully play a test sound to each speaker.  Unfortunately, when I apply the settings and use other applications, such applications only play audio to the front speakers.  Applications I've tested to play audio are Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer, and a couple of games.  Additionally, the standard Windows sound system behaves the same way too.  Basically the system behaves as if I am only using a 2-speaker configuration despite my 5.1 speaker configuration.

I would definitely appreciate any help because just like Patrick, I'm at a loss too.

Thanks!

--Mark
    dj_flyp_munkey@hotmail.com
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 10:05 PM
  • I too am having that problem witch Windows XP SP2.

The games not run because they not find target sound.

Friday, March 9, 2007 3:59 PM
  • I couldn't find any vista drivers at all for my soundmax card. it only has XP drivers. Which I'm lucky they even work at all. I have the ASUS K8V-MX Board
    Friday, March 9, 2007 7:04 PM
  • I never yet, since i got he new motherboard in November ,got the control panel to work  with either XP 2 or now Vista. I install it OK from the motherboard CD (Asus Crosshair, Nvdia, AMD) but cliking on it to open does nothing
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 3:22 PM
  • I am using M2N-MX with sound max 5.1 HD audio, i can understand your problem, i installed the drivers provided BY ASUS, the sound started playing but onlt till 4 speaker config. 5.1 speaker system was not supported.Then with a little tweaking with  beta drivers and rearranging the sound path in inf, i can now listen full 5.1 music, but with hip-hops.. so i rolled back to the drivers provided by ASUS, and for time being i am running my 5.1 config on 4 speaker system ...

A fact: For windows Xp X64 No drivers are released till date as for Windows Xp32bit, so i pray that this case should not turn up with vista or else in will go crazy,,

waiting for drivers from ASUS ,,this aint a bug, but just beta drivers problem... :))

Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:01 PM
  • I have the same problem. can someone help me?
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:05 PM
  • Hi, I have a 7.1 Sound Blaster Audigy system and after installing Vista, I am also left with a basic 2.1 sound configuration. This is because Microsoft released a piece of software that will not be ready for another few years.

As their Vista sales pitch reported that it was more reliable than previous versions of Windows, I would suggest that a class action suit to recover money wasted on this software would not be a bad idea. Vista is far from reliable and basic drivers for important hardware are not available and may not be any time soon. There is not any support for Vista in major online game companies like Sony Online Entertainment. (PlanetSide) etc.  Maybe they knew something we didn't.

Monday, September 10, 2007 11:33 PM
  •  

If I had known Microsoft removed audio hardware support from the OS I would have considered getting XP on my new high end gaming PC instead of Vista, now I am stuck with it. They should be required to put a waring label on it like a pack of cigarettes or bottle of booze. It's almost as smart as enabling the user account feature by default. I didn't fully appreciate the iMac commerical until I actually experienced that one for myself.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 1:40 AM
  • Hi All,

I have a probable solution for you guys that have an onboard soundmax audio card on an asus board in vista x32 ranging from incorrect/inproper drivers to making surround sound work and stereo emulate into surround sound for general windows/music etc =D

i have all of the above working in Vista Enterprise x32 after afew days of mucking around and missing the features from XP!
    my board is the M2N32-SLI Deluxe with 7.1 which i use as 5.1 but once the right driver is installed you can see the option for stereo, quad, 5.1 or 7.1

firstly the driver for vitsa is here:
    http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48305
    look for the below section in the link and choose your operating system (I have only tested the vista one as the latest one from asus website works great in XP)
    'DRIVERS:
    At least version 5.10.01.6110 SoundMax Driver (WinXP/2K/2k3) (Vista) "
    (this one looks similar to the one from asus but instead of constant popping it works!)

so now the drivers are ok..

goto the playback properties by right clicking on the sound icon in the satus bar and choose playback devices OR control panel -> hardware and sound -> manage hardware devices
    choose speakers and hit the configure button here you can change the surround settings. follow the brief wizzard and you now have surround.
    To make windows stereo emulate surround choose properties then enhancements tab, here choose Speaker Fill and ok it all and restart. the speaker fill wont work untill you restart. now you are all done!! vista as far as i can tell doesnt let you change the individual speaker levels like in XP but it does have some other great sound customizabilty from what i can tell it should be great for having mulitple soundcards as you can rename them all individually.
    best of luck with your issue on this topic!
    Monday, March 24, 2008 1:38 AM
  • I fixed the problem...for vista users...go to control panel click on sound..choose 5.1 to set it on...double click on speakers than in enhancements just mark speakers fill...and that is all...works perfectly
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:53 PM