SCSM 2016 and RO question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created under Library-->Template a new Template and selected "Problem" under "Class". If I try now to create a RO and click an "Select Template" and select either "Incident" or "Service Request", I cannot see my just created "Problem"  Template.

What is the reason why I don`t see the Template?

Thanks for help

BR,

Keywan

• Edited by mpng2008 Monday, November 14, 2016 10:34 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2016 10:33 AM

Answers

• Hey Keywan,

in order to ensure the issue gets all the attention needed and that others will spot it and hopefully reply I would ask you to start a new thread with the specific question asked there. Are you ok with this? 

Please mark also all the answer of all the guys (Glen, Firat, etc.), which in you opinion were helpful. The purpose of this is to close this specific topic and help other when searching for the same issues. 

One more thing: Please give more details on what exactly are entering as ActivityID when trying to kick off the tester?

Looking forwards to your new thread. 

Regards,

Stoyan

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by mpng2008 Friday, November 18, 2016 3:16 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2016 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Keywan,

it might be because you are saving the different templates in different MP library classes and they are not sealed. So if yiou try to reference the unsealed MP you will not see the template.

Please go through:

System Center Service Manager / Operations Manager Management Pack and Naming Convention Best Practices

and

Management Packs: Guidelines and Best Practices

Save your templates in the same unsealed MP and you can reference them.

Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, November 14, 2016 11:15 AM
  • Hi Mr. Stoyan,

The Link you send does not work. If I understand you correct, I should the "Problem" in Class "Problem" but saved it in for example "Incident" MP.

BR,

Keywan

Monday, November 14, 2016 12:25 PM
  • Hi Keywan,

Sorry for the broken link, I've corrected it now so you should be able to see it. Take closer look at the sections "BOTH Service Manager (SCSM) and Operations Manager (SCOM)", "SCSM" and also the "System Center Service Manager" below. 

it depends on what you would like to do with those templates and how they relate to each other. Basically you create a MP for your solution and include your Problem and Incident templates there. Just try to check if this is really the case: Create a new TEST MP. Put your both templates there. Do what you have to do...Do you see the templates than?

Regards,

Monday, November 14, 2016 12:33 PM
  • Hi Keywan

I think the goal is to create a problem from the portal or using a service request. Unforfunately the portal only supports creating a service request or incident. So when you create the Request Offering it will only give you the option of choosing a IR or SR template.

You have to look at other ways to create a problem from the Portal - powershell scripts, orchestrator or third party add ons.

Regards

Glen

Web: www.xapity.com  |   Twitter: @xapityapps  |   Facebook: xapityapps

Monday, November 14, 2016 8:59 PM
  • Hi Glen,

You mean  there is no way to do that? How can I create with SR or other Tool. What do you mean with Orchestrator?

BR,

Keywan

• Edited by mpng2008 Monday, November 14, 2016 11:05 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2016 9:38 PM
  • Hi

You can not create RO by using Problem template. They are suitable just SR and IR.

Problem, CR and other workitems only belongs to Analyst. And you can only access them with console.

Fırat

Monday, November 14, 2016 10:33 PM
  • Hi,

There is no way to do that? Glen means with SR.

BR,

Keywan

Monday, November 14, 2016 11:03 PM
  • Hi Stoyan,

I have created is new MP but I cannot include my Template there. How can I do that? with Authoring Tool?

BR,

Keywan

• Edited by mpng2008 Monday, November 14, 2016 11:15 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2016 11:08 PM
  • Hi Keywan

I wasn't that clear in my post, Firat is correct that you can not use a Problem template with a RO. 

And to answer your Orchestrator question, it is part of the System Center Suite and can be used to do workflows outside of Service Manager.

The high level steps would be:

• Enable the Orchestrator Connector
    • Use a SR template to capture the input data (either filled in from the Portal or directly via SR)
    • Create the Orchestrator workflow
    • create a runbook activity and add it to the SR 
    • Orchestrator will then have the information from the SR and can then create a Problem record in Service Manager

Or you you could write a custom workflow and use PowerShell in the workflow to create the Problem based on the data entered in the SR. 

Regards

Glen

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 1:34 AM
  • Ha, I think I completely misunderstood the problem here. :) 

My answer is then not even closely related to the actual topic. Pls ignore it.

Considering this, I will agree with both Firat and Glen - you can create only Incidents and SRs from the portal as you cannot publish other template types within the RO.

What Glen outlined is correct, you need ORchestrator to be able to change the work item type after its created on the portal. I have even done this once with Change Requests. Here two examples:

SR-->CR:

Creating Change Requests from Service Requests using System Center Orchestrator

and

IR-->SR

Convert a incident to a service request, with a bit of Orchestrator magic

Regards,

• Proposed as answer by Firat YASAR Tuesday, November 15, 2016 10:50 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2016 8:33 AM
  • Hi Glen,

I know the Orchestrator and I have that too. I read in some forum there are many people they have the same issue like me. They cannot create a CR and pulished into service portal. I did thing MS will support it in SCSM 2016. I have SCSM 2016 but it still does not support.

Could you tell please, is there any link for your comment?

Or you you could write a custom workflow and use PowerShell in the workflow to create the Problem based on the data entered in the SR. 

BR,

Keywan

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 8:15 PM
  • Hi Keywan 

Have a look at these links from Matthew Dowst at Catapult systems (a great series on PowerSehll in SCSM):

SCSM PowerShell: Creating PowerShell Workflows

SCSM PowerShell: Create Work Items

Regards

Glen

• Proposed as answer by Firat YASAR Tuesday, November 15, 2016 10:50 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2016 8:26 PM
  • Hi Glen,

Could you tell me hwich Integration Pack I need to install on the SO?

BR,

Keywan

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 4:56 PM
  • Hi Keywan

I am not sure of what you are asking. Can you provide some more information.

Thanks

Glen

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 7:47 PM
  • Hi Glen,

I mean I have to install and deploy IP to Orchestraor Server and then I can create any runbooks for SCSM CR and PR.

Keywan

• Edited by mpng2008 Wednesday, November 16, 2016 10:09 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 8:43 PM
  • Hi

The basic steps are:

• Create a Orchestrator connector
    • Create a Runbook in Orchestrator
    • Syncronise the runbook via the connector
    • Create a Runbook Activity template that uses the synced Runbook
    • Add the template to the SR

These links may help:

Screen Shots of creating the connector

Automate User Creation with Orchestrator and Service Manager 2012 R2 and Create Service Offer

Glen

Thursday, November 17, 2016 12:13 AM
  • Hi Stoyan,

Thanks again for your Link. I did read carefully the Link. But I am missing all the options

I have installed and deployed the IP of SCSM 2016 in my Runbook Designer. I see under the "Activities" the following:

How to get the missing options?

BR

Keywan

Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:11 AM
  • Hi Keywan,

the icons for the activities have changed in the meantime :)

The "Get Runbook" activity is actually a "Get Object" activity (on your screenshot). "Get SR" is also a "Get Object" activity. 

The "Get SR GUID" is a the "Get Relationship" from your screenshot. The rest should be clear. :)

In the second article I've posted, they real names are specified:

http://contoso.se/blog/?p=2943

Post back if you need help. 

Regards,

Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:28 AM
  • Hi Stoyan,

Thanks again for help. Yes I have again some questions:

I follow the Link http://www.concurrency.com/blog/w/creating-change-requests-from-service-requests-usi

and Create a Runbook Named :"Service Request to Change Request" and as following

If I go to my SCSM Server and SYNC the Orchestrator Connector and check the "Runbooks" on the "Library" I see there one Runbook but it is called "New Runbook" and my created Runbook "Service Request to Change Request"

Aand it should display like the Link

But my Runbook is empty

My second question is, if I add "Get Object" to my Runbook and go to the Proberties I cannot add no options

Any Idea?

Thank you

Keywan

Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:01 AM
  • Hi Keywan,

on the first topic: delete the new runbook from SCSM and do a resync. This is happening most probably, because you have renamed the runbook after the initial sync of the connector.

On the second: You have to define a connection to SCSM. You can follow the guide here:

Section "Configuring the System Center 2012 – Service Manager Connections"
    System Center Integration Pack for System Center 2012 Service Manager

Hope that helps. Regards,

Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:16 AM
  • Hi again,

It is working now. Do I need for SCCM and SCOM any new Feature to install or it is enough the "OrchestratorToolkitSetup.msi"?

Is the Value so {Activity ID from "Initialize Data"} so correct?

Is the "Create Change Request" in new Icons "Create Change with Template"?

I only need to create a new connection in the Runbook Designer?

Thank you very much

Keywan

• Edited by mpng2008 Thursday, November 17, 2016 12:59 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 12:10 PM
  • Hi Keywan,

if you go to the SCSM console to Library, Runbooks and then select the runbook the "Delete" option is greyed out? Can you please post a screenshot of this?

To the second question: You have to go to Options in the Runbook Designer, then and select SC 2012 Service Manager. and the next steps (from the article):

1. On the Connections tab, click Add to begin the connection setup.

2. In the Name box, enter a name for the connection. This could be the name of the Service Manager server, or a descriptive name to distinguish the type of connection.

3. In the Server box, click the ellipsis button (...). Select the Service Manager server, and then click OK.

4. In the Credentials section, type the DomainUser name, and Password that the Orchestrator server will use to connect to the Service Manager computer.

5. In the Monitoring Intervals section, enter the Polling and Reconnect intervals that the Orchestrator server will use with the connection to the Server Manager computer. The default is 10 seconds.

6. Click Test Connection. When the success message appears, click OK.

7. Add additional connections if applicable. Click OK to close the configuration dialog box, and then clickFinish.

Regards,

Stoyan

Thursday, November 17, 2016 1:09 PM
  • Hi Stoyan,

I have followed the Link you provide me and create all steps in the Link. Now if I try to run the "Run Tester" I have to put in the "Title and Activity ID". But I get always error "Input string was not in a correct format"

Could you please help?

BR,

Keywan

Friday, November 18, 2016 1:58 PM
  • Hey Keywan,

in order to ensure the issue gets all the attention needed and that others will spot it and hopefully reply I would ask you to start a new thread with the specific question asked there. Are you ok with this? 

Please mark also all the answer of all the guys (Glen, Firat, etc.), which in you opinion were helpful. The purpose of this is to close this specific topic and help other when searching for the same issues. 

One more thing: Please give more details on what exactly are entering as ActivityID when trying to kick off the tester?

Looking forwards to your new thread. 

Regards,

Stoyan

• Marked as answer by mpng2008 Friday, November 18, 2016 3:16 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2016 3:11 PM
  • Hi

Just wanted to provide an update for others that might read this in the future and that want an alternative to Orchestrator.

We have just released a commercial tool Xapity Create Activity that can create any major work item - Change, Release, Problem, Incident and Service Request - from the activity workflow on a Change, Release or Service Request.

Regards

Glen

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 9:04 AM
  • Hi Glen,

this is nice. I can now point the guy, who ask here to your solution.

Regards,

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 9:15 AM