none
Windows Indexing Setup

Question

• I have a disk intensive application running on Windows Server 2012 R2. We do not have the 'Windows Search Service' installed. However on my database disk properties the 'Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties' checkbox is ticked.

Without the 'Windows Search Service' does this have any effect on performance at all or is it simply being ignored?

Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you don’t use Windows Indexing all that often, it makes sense to either disable indexing altogether or modify indexing options.

I would still recommend to uncheck the "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties to be sure.

Here's how to modify the indexing options:

1. Go to the Control Panel.
    2. Type indexing options in the search box, and then click Indexing Options.
    3. Click on Modify. Make sure you have Show All Locations enabled improve windows performance
    4. Clear the check boxes for the folders you rarely search and click OK when you are finished.

Kind regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:02 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 9:14 AM
  • Thanks for your time. There are no indexing options in control panel. I believe this is because the Windows Search Service is not installed. I guess it does no harm to uncheck the option . . . except for the performance hit whilst it changes all the files and folders :0)
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 9:34 AM
  • Hi,

> I guess it does no harm to uncheck the option
    Just as you understand.

Index function relied on Windows Search Service, it is an optional server role/feature so, you can enabled or un-enable it based on your requirement.  

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 18, 2018 7:32 AM