none
DPM 2010 and Basic Disk storage RRS feed

• Question

• OK, I have DPM server 2010 running and I purchased a SAN with an iSCSI port to save my data to. This device doesn't support Dynamic disks. So, my question is, is there any way to set up a single storage "drive" and use it for ALL my protection? As of now, it seems as if I have to set up individual chunks of storage per server and if I'm backing up a SQL server, I have to set up individual chunks of storage per database. This seems a bit ridiculous in my mind so could someone with more knowledge than I explain this? I understand the concept behind why it wants to use dynamic disks so it can manage things on its own. I'm stuck with this piece of hardware and there are no alternatives. Thanks.
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Did you mean mean to say that you bought a NAS (network attached storage) which is SMB based storage versus a SAN (storage area network) which is block level storage ?    DPM requires block level storage devices that Windows show as non-removable physical disk(s) in disk management.  I don't know of a single SAN vendor that doesn't support dynamic disks.  Dynamic disks are simply a different disk layout and a SAN should not care about what is written at the sector level.

However, to answer your question directly, as you probably discovered using "custom volumes" is the only way around using dynamic disk(s) in the storage pool.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, October 5, 2012 9:48 PM