none
Hyper-V Worker 12340 errors RRS feed

• Question

• We did an in place upgrade of our 2008 Hyper-V server (not Core) to 2008 R2.  Post upgrade we started getting Event Log errors when rebooting/starting VMs.  I know in place upgrades are not the best plan but in this case a reload/migrate wasn't warranted.  Anyway, as noted below, there are other posts listing the same issue that were not in place upgrades so it doesn't appear that it is entirely the cause.  It does look like a section of the configuration file has been added in 2008 R2 that wasn't there in 2008.  File and registry security are not the issue unless you are getting these errors along with the inability to start your VMs.  In that case there may be multiple issues.

So here is the error:

Event ID 12340

'Server_Name' could not read key '/configuration/global_settings/devices/storage_allow_full_scsi_command_set' from the repository. Error: 'The system cannot find the file specified.'(0x80070002). (Virtual machine ID (Machine_ID))

The line below refers to a section of the machine's XML file (default path - C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines\machine_ID.XML).  It is not a 'line' within the file but refers to section 'global_settings', sub-section 'devices', etc. 

'/configuration/global_settings/devices/storage_allow_full_scsi_command_set' 

After creating a new VM I noted the new XML file had this section where the old ones did not.  On a lab server, it appeared to be missing but I did not completely mimic the environment - no SCSI drive added for instance.

Links to previous posts:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2virtualization/thread/b26fe762-62eb-48ec-b538-ddeed61e1fae

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2virtualization/thread/ea9f2ac7-be14-4ed2-961f-bd6655f2748d

In previous posts, a moderator-Vincent Hu posted some MS level responses.  Vincent, if you're still there, did you ever find anything on this?

I suppose I could just hack the XML files and add the missing info but this is obviously a 2008 to 2008 R2 migration flaw and it would be nice to have a definitive answer.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:57 PM

All replies