none
Passing parameters to LiteTouch.vbs causes Win10 update to fail RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a Windows 10 update Task Sequence.  We do not have SCCM and I'm wanting to automatically kick off the task sequence without remoting into machines we're deploying to.  I started out just trying to run "\\mdtserver\prod$\scripts\LiteTouch.vbs /TaskSequenceID:Win10x64Upg /SkipWizards:YES"  (including all the required data, not just what's shown here).  It didn't work, so then I created a new CustomSettings.ini file, CustomSettings-ZTWin10Upg.ini in the Control folder.  I called it using "\\mdtserver\prod$\scripts\LiteTouch.vbs /rulesfile:CustomSettings-ZTWin10Upg.ini".  I tried doing these both just by WinKey+R and typing in the path and using a batch file.

The CustomSettings-ZTWin10Upg.ini File:

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES

TaskSequenceID=WIN10X64UPGRD
    DeploymentType=UPGRADE
    SkipTaskSequence=YES
    SkipWizard=YES
    SkipFinalSummary=YES
    SkipSummary=YES
    FinishAction=REBOOT

SkipBDDWelcome=YES

SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipUserData=YES
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    TimeZoneName=Eastern Standard Time
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    UserLocale=en-us
    KeyboardLocale=en-us
    UILanguage=en-us

WSUSServer=http://XXXXX:XXXXX

JoinDomain=XXXXX.com
    MachineObjectOU=OU=XXXXX,OU=XXXXX,DC=XXXXX,DC=com
    DomainAdmin=XXXXX
    DomainAdminPassword=XXXXX
    DomainAdminDomain=XXXXX.com

UserDomain=XXXXX.com
    UserID=XXXXX
    UserPassword=XXXXX
    EventService=http://XXXXX:XXXXX

It again did not work.  What is happening is my TS kicks off, runs the update, goes all the way through installing Windows 10.  At the end it tries to log in and fails (wrong password for some reason) and then if I log in as the Administrator on the machine, it pops up like it's trying to start the task sequence over, says it found a task sequence already in progress in an unexpected point, then goes flashing through the TS windows again, runs the gathering task and fails since it's already on 10.  Never cleans up after itself.  It shows in the monitoring section of MDT as "Running" at 29% on step 8 of 24 and just sits there.

I finally made a backup of my CS file and renamed the ZT CS file to CustomSettings.ini.  I then proceeded to run the LiteTouch.vbs script, which worked this time completely automated, did everything and finished.  I ran it again this time calling the LiteTouch.vbs from a batch file, worked again.  So something about adding parameters to the call of LiteTouch.vbs is breaking the process :/

Is there something special I'm missing you're supposed to do when you pass parameters that way?

Monday, June 13, 2016 3:54 PM

Answers

• There is a bug with upgrade task sequence flow that makes "SkipTaskSequence=YES" not work well.  We're planning to fix this for an update later this year.

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    Director of Product Marketing, Windows Deployment, Management, and Store
    http://blogs.technet.com/mniehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by lizaoreo Monday, June 13, 2016 5:19 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2016 5:01 PM

All replies

• There is a bug with upgrade task sequence flow that makes "SkipTaskSequence=YES" not work well.  We're planning to fix this for an update later this year.

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    Director of Product Marketing, Windows Deployment, Management, and Store
    http://blogs.technet.com/mniehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by lizaoreo Monday, June 13, 2016 5:19 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2016 5:01 PM
  • Awesome, that's good to know.

Thanks

Monday, June 13, 2016 5:20 PM
  • Hello

Can I ask how to execute the LiteTouch.vbs via remote?

For example:

cscript \\mdtserver\prod$\scripts\LiteTouch.vbs /rulesfile:CustomSettings-ZTWin10Upg.ini

This command is not working. My account that I used is a domain admin account so it has an admin rights to the target computer and also has read access to mdtshare folder.

Anyone who can share how to make this work will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Michael

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 11:54 PM