Call Admission Control (CAC) to restrict Lync to Lync calling - RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Due to some regulations, there is requirement to route all incoming and outgoing Lync calls via PSTN GW.  It looks like the only possible way to restrict Lync to Lync calling is to apply CAC.

There are three Central Sites in topology and four regions are created along with sites and subnets as below:

Central Site: A  --> Region A  -> multiple sites -> Subnet for each site

Central Site: B  --> Region B  -> multiple sites -> Subnet for each site

Central Site: C  --> Region C -> multiple sites -> Subnet for each site

Central Site:  C    -->   Region D --> Few sites from Region C --> Subnet for each subnet

The requirement is to block all Lync to Lync calls for Region D to/from Region A and B and Region C and route them via PSTN Gateway. 

Bandwidth Policy

As per MS, the minimum Audio Session Limit value is 40 kbps. The minimum Video Session Limit value is 100 kbps.

What should be the Audio and Video Bandwidth Limit? I understand, it depends on the link but Can I put any value (as low as possible) here as I don't want to use WAN for any VOIP session?

New-CsNetworkBandwidthPolicyProfile -Identity "BlockVOIP" -Description "Block Lync to Lync Calls" -AudioBWLimit ???? -AudioBWSessionLimit 40 -VideoBWLimit ????  -VideoBWSessionLimit 100

Network Region Links

Region Link 1: A - B (No BW Policy as there is no requirement to restrict VOIP)

Region Link 2: A - C (No BW Policy  as there is no requirement to restrict VOIP)

Region Link 3: A - D (BlockVOIP BW Policy)

Region Link 4: B - C (No BW Policy as there is no requirement to restrict VOIP)

Region Link 5: B - D (BlockVOIP BW Policy)

Region Link 6: C - D (BlockVOIP BW Policy) 

New-CsNetworkRegionLink -NetworkRegionLinkID "A-D-LINK" -NetworkRegionID1 "A" -NetworkRegionID2 "D" -BWPolicyProfileID "BlockVOIP"

New-CsNetworkRegionLink -NetworkRegionLinkID "B-D-LINK" -NetworkRegionID1 "B" -NetworkRegionID2 "D" -BWPolicyProfileID "BlockVOIP"

New-CsNetworkRegionLink -NetworkRegionLinkID "C-D-LINK" -NetworkRegionID1 "C" -NetworkRegionID2 "D" -BWPolicyProfileID "BlockVOIP"

Apply a bandwidth policy only if the network region link is bandwidth-constrained and you want to use CAC to control media traffic on that link. It means  I should not apply BW policy between region A, B and C as I don't want to block VOIP between these regions. 

New-CsNetworkRegionLink -NetworkRegionLinkID "A-B-LINK" -NetworkRegionID1 "A" -NetworkRegionID2 "B"

New-CsNetworkRegionLink -NetworkRegionLinkID "A-C-LINK" -NetworkRegionID1 "A" -NetworkRegionID2 "C"

New-CsNetworkRegionLink -NetworkRegionLinkID "B-C-LINK" -NetworkRegionID1 "B" -NetworkRegionID2 "C" 

Region Routes

Region Route 1: A - B  --> Region Link  ( A - B)

Region Route 2: A - C  --> Region Link  ( A - C)

Region Route 3: A - D  --> Region Link  ( A - D)

Region Route 4: B - C  --> Region Link  ( B - C)

Region Route 5: B - D  --> Region Link  ( B - D)

Region Route 6: C - D  --> Region Link  ( C - D)

New-CsNetworkInterRegionRoute -Identity "A to B" -NetworkRegionID1 "A" -NetworkRegionID2 "B" -NetworkRegionLinkIDs "A-B-LINK"

New-CsNetworkInterRegionRoute -Identity "A to C" -NetworkRegionID1 "A" -NetworkRegionID2 "C" -NetworkRegionLinkIDs "A-C-LINK"

New-CsNetworkInterRegionRoute -Identity "A to D" -NetworkRegionID1 "A" -NetworkRegionID2 "D" -NetworkRegionLinkIDs "A-D-LINK"

New-CsNetworkInterRegionRoute -Identity "B to C" -NetworkRegionID1 "B" -NetworkRegionID2 "C" -NetworkRegionLinkIDs "B-C-LINK"

New-CsNetworkInterRegionRoute -Identity "B to D" -NetworkRegionID1 "B" -NetworkRegionID2 "D" -NetworkRegionLinkIDs "B-D-LINK"

New-CsNetworkInterRegionRoute -Identity "C to D" -NetworkRegionID1 "C" -NetworkRegionID2 "D" -NetworkRegionLinkIDs "C-D-LINK"

Enable CAC

Set-CsNetworkConfiguration -EnableBandwidthPolicyCheck 1

Voice Policy

Enable PSTN Reroute for users (sites) in Region D

Disable Enabled Bandwidth policy override for users (sites) in Region D

Any suggestion before I go for implementation? Am I missing anything here? 

Cheers,

H.

Monday, October 6, 2014 10:03 AM

Answers

• New-CsNetworkBandwidthPolicyProfile -Identity "BlockVOIP" -Description "Block Lync to Lync Calls" -AudioBWLimit ???? -AudioBWSessionLimit 40 -VideoBWLimit ????  -VideoBWSessionLimit 100

The suggestion here 

New-CsNetworkBandwidthPolicyProfile -Identity "BlockVOIP" -Description "Block Lync to Lync Calls"  -AudioBWSessionLimit 10   -VideoBWSessionLimit 10

Default: If you supply a value to the VideoBWSessionLimit parameter but not to VideoBWLimit, VideoBWLimit will default to 0.

Default: If you supply a value to the AudioBWSessionLimit parameter but not to AudioBWLimit, AudioBWLimit will default to 0.

You test with these values however if it doesnt work set 

AudioBWSessionLimit 40 

VideoBWSessionLimit 100

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398675.aspx

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer" Regards Edwin Anthony Joseph

Monday, October 6, 2014 2:28 PM