Can't create a distribution point RRS feed

• Question

• We have a site with several distributions points but I can't add a new one.  I have tried on a couple different systems using the exact same procedure we used for the 40 other distribution points but now it just fails.  I get an error that it failed to install a distribution point.  <g class="gr_ gr_361 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="361" id="361">Possible</g> cause is that the distribution manager does not have sufficient rights to the computer.  In the distmgr.log it says that it failed because the distribution point has not been created yet.

I have made the site system an administrator as well as tried to run the install as with a service account and get the same errors.  Any suggestions would be appreciated

Monday, October 16, 2017 1:25 PM

All replies

• Have you reviewed distmgr.log on the site server? It will give you more details.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Monday, October 16, 2017 2:01 PM
  • You have to add Site server computer account and Service account in local administrator group of DP server this will provide appropriate rights to site server to configure Distribution point.
    Monday, October 16, 2017 2:08 PM
  • yes I have this is the reference in the log file

The distribution point ["Display=\\TEST-dp1.alcdsb.on.ca\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=P01"]\\TEST-dp1.alcdsb.on.ca\ is not installed or upgraded yet.  $$<SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER><10-15-2017 23:09:31.742+240><thread=5976 (0x1758)>

Monday, October 16, 2017 2:19 PM
  • I have done that for both items.  The site system service account as well as the service account.  I have even tried specifying my domain admin account when creating the distribution point
    Monday, October 16, 2017 2:20 PM
  • Hi,

Make sure the account already in the local Administrators group.

There is a blog analysis the distribution points installation, including pre-requisites, step by step guide, verification, etc. Please reference https://www.systemcenterdudes.com/sccm-2012-distribution-point-installation/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 1:48 AM