none
Windows 10 Enterprise 1703 Auto Logon not working anymore RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

See a lot of people have the same problem. Is there a fix Microsoft? Or what i'm doing wrong?

After importing Windows 10 1703 into MDT and set in in the Task Sequence auto logon stops working. When entering the local admin password the task sequence resumes.

We use MDT version 6.3.8443.1000 and ADK version 10.1.15063.0 and  Windows 10 1607 and it works, but when use Windows 10 1703 it stops working. Change OS in the task sequence from 1703 to 1607 and it works again, so it seems a 1703 thing.

Unattend.xml

<UserAccounts>
                    <AdministratorPassword>
                        <Value>QwBWAE8AQQBWA</Value>
                        <PlainText>false</PlainText>
                    </AdministratorPassword>
                </UserAccounts>
                <AutoLogon>
                    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
                    <Username>Administrator</Username>
                    <Domain>.</Domain>
                    <Password>
                        <Value>QwBWAE8AQQBWA</Value>
                        <PlainText>false</PlainText>
                    </Password>
                    <LogonCount>999</LogonCount>
                </AutoLogon>

I fix this for now by adding a step directly after State Restore and run this powershell script

$RegPath = "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"
    Set-ItemProperty $RegPath "AutoAdminLogon" -Value "1" -type String
    Set-ItemProperty $RegPath "DefaultPassword" -Value "P@ssw0rd" -type String

But find this not a solution. And don’t like clear texts passwords.

Also i think it hapens after this screen.

After the above screen windows restarts and suddenly there are 2 Administrator accounts listed at the logon screen. See images below.

Also i see some changes in the registry.

working state

not working state

• Edited by arjanver Thursday, June 1, 2017 2:20 PM add photos
    Thursday, June 1, 2017 2:20 PM

All replies

• I agree, I had to manually capture the Win10 ver 1703 because my MDT task sequence capture isn't even working for me. After capturing manually I too got stuck on the deployment because it would stop, so I edited the unattended.xml file much thanks to your guide to bypass this but even then the capture it took wasn't the modified sysprepped image for some reason it reverted everything back to normal standard windows install so now I'm pulling my hair out.

I'm also running the latest version of MDT and imaging the build 1703 is proving to be a pain.

• Proposed as answer by truongthi Friday, June 2, 2017 10:16 PM
    Friday, June 2, 2017 3:31 PM
  • This is why I'm still installing version 1607 at the moment. Microsoft needs to fix this urgently since this is very annoying.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 11:07 AM
  • Hey, we were having the same problem with the dual "administrators" at login during MDT deployment. The solution that appeared to resolve this was adding this line into the MDT customsettings.ini:

AdminPassword=XXXXXX

Here you want to enter the local administrator password, not the network share account password (that goes in the boot.ini settings). Replace the XXXXXX with your local admin account password of course.

Seems to be a new bug\issue with using Win10 1703 with the latest MDT 8443 and ADK 1703.

• Edited by Greg-Nesteruk Tuesday, June 6, 2017 10:02 PM spelling
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 10:01 PM
  • We have multiple Task Sequences and have different passwords.
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 7:11 AM
  • Still not a solution Microsoft?

okay, found this. https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4022716/windows-10-update-kb4022716

going to test this update.

• Edited by arjanver Friday, August 25, 2017 12:56 PM update
    Friday, June 16, 2017 12:15 PM
  • While I haven‘t seen this issue at my customers, I may have some general guidelines which may or may not help you:

- Instead of using Unattend.xml, simply put the admin password value CustomSettings.ini as suggested above
    - If you have security concerns regarding your local admin password (which can be easily fixed by implementing LAPS in your organization for Windows 10 machines), you could add a tiny layer of security by encoding sensitive information using Base64. See Michael Niehaus‘ post for more details: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2012/06/27/encoding-sensitive-information-in-customsettings-ini-and-bootstrap-ini/

Blog - http://www.vacuumbreather.com / http://www.wcsaga.com

Friday, August 25, 2017 1:10 PM
  • it's s sysprep. you have to have a regfile run file run in to  in to setupcomplet.cmd located on C:\Windows\setup\scripts

Friday, August 25, 2017 1:45 PM