none
Zero hour task updates RRS feed

• Question

• I have noticed a behavior with Project Server 2010 timesheets whereby if a resource has planned work for a given week, yet they don't work it (and therefore either leave actuals blank or explicitly enter zeros in the timesheet):

- A task update for zero hours is not generated for the task with zero hours of work submitted (even if they explicitly enter zeros in the timesheet)

- Actual work (nor work) are updated in the project schedule with zeros (even if they explicitly enter zeros in the timesheet).

It seems that the only remedy is that PMs need to peruse their tasks for past weeks where work <> actual work and revise work to zero (or to equal the actual work).  Likewise it seems we'll need an exception report to identify any lingering unworked work that PMs may have missed.

Why would server not assume zero hour actuals based on the timesheet and manifest that as a task update?  Am I missing something as this seems to be a big gap in functionality.

Input appreciated.

Grady

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:55 PM

Answers

• Grady --

The correct approach in your situation would be for the team member to enter no Actual Work hours for the week that the team member did not work.  After the PM accepts task updates from all team members into the project, the PM should then reschedule all uncompleted work from the past week into the current week.  To do this, the PM should set the Status Date by clicking Project > Project Information.  In the Project Information dialog, the PM should enter the date of Friday of last week as the Status Date value and click the OK button.  Then the PM should click Project > Update Project.  In the Update Project dialog, the PM should select the Reschedule Uncompleted Work to Start After option, leave the Entire Project option selected, and then click the OK button.  This will reschedule all uncompleted work from last week into the current week, thus resolving the issue you are facing.

Regarding why Project Server does not acknowledge the zeros entered in the Tasks or Timesheet pages in PWA, I do not know why; all I know is that is how the software works.  So, it is best not to fight the issue, and to use the above process instead.  By the way, the above process is what we teach to all of our clients, and it works for them.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

• Marked as answer by Grady Byram Thursday, February 7, 2013 4:50 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:09 PM

All replies

• Grady --

The correct approach in your situation would be for the team member to enter no Actual Work hours for the week that the team member did not work.  After the PM accepts task updates from all team members into the project, the PM should then reschedule all uncompleted work from the past week into the current week.  To do this, the PM should set the Status Date by clicking Project > Project Information.  In the Project Information dialog, the PM should enter the date of Friday of last week as the Status Date value and click the OK button.  Then the PM should click Project > Update Project.  In the Update Project dialog, the PM should select the Reschedule Uncompleted Work to Start After option, leave the Entire Project option selected, and then click the OK button.  This will reschedule all uncompleted work from last week into the current week, thus resolving the issue you are facing.

Regarding why Project Server does not acknowledge the zeros entered in the Tasks or Timesheet pages in PWA, I do not know why; all I know is that is how the software works.  So, it is best not to fight the issue, and to use the above process instead.  By the way, the above process is what we teach to all of our clients, and it works for them.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

• Marked as answer by Grady Byram Thursday, February 7, 2013 4:50 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:09 PM
  • Grady,

I don't presume to answer all of your question but some of it may be down to process.

If a task has not been done it has not been done, reporting that it wasn't done serves no purpose on its own. If scheduled work has not been done then it needs to be done at some point - most likely from Now until such times as it becomes a showstopper.

There is an option in Project to schedule incomplete work from the Status Date onward, however employing this feature assumes a degree of rigor and maturity. I quite like this feature as when it is used intelligently updated schedules reflect a more accurate picture of what happened compared to what was planned to happen.

On a separate note the Project Server solution deliberately divorces Timesheet entries from updating task progress unless you explicitly opt for "Single Entry Mode" - if you employ that approach (SEM) users cannot update progress in My Tasks, clicking on a tasks name to display the Assignment Details page will result in the section at the very top where progress updates can be made being "locked to edits".

In both Task and Timesheet tabular elements there is the remaining work column, this can be updated to vary actuals compared to what was planned and hopefully baselined.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Dominic Moss MAPM, MCTS, MCITP, MCT PM News
    Wellingtone EPM Site
    Wellingtone PM Recruitment Site

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Thank you both for the insights.  I've spent a lot of time doing software implementations (only recently MSP/MSPS though) so definitely understand the "it does what it does - now lets make it work" dynamic. :)

Thanks for reminding me of the status date/update project behavior as that will certainly provide a mechanism to isolate and action the unworked work.

Quick follow up query on this feature (although I will certainly be testing myself to better understand behavior)  ... if used on a master project will it action all the subs? ... or does each sub have to be opened and updated individually?

Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:05 PM
  • Grady --

Yes, it should work with a master project provided that every project is completely expanded.  Personally, I would recommend rescheduling uncompleted work in the past in each subproject individually, simply because this operation should cause the PM to stop and look at the new schedule of the project.  That might be easier to see and understand in a single project than in a master project, but that is just my personal preference.

And you are more than welcome for the help, by the way.  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:25 PM