Failed to resolve the linked master account RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I am using the command to change the linked mailbox's master account to the account in a different as procedure of cross forest migration.

I was using the below command absolutely fine till yesterday until the AD01.Domain.com restarted after installation of updates. I can resolve the target server name and domain, the server is up and running, no network connection issues detected. using the right credentials too.

set-mailbox "testuser1.one" -LinkedDomainController AD01.Domain.com -LinkedMasterAccount Domain.com\onet -LinkedCredential:(get-credential Domain.com\administrator)

after it I am receiving the below error on exchange.

Failed to resolve the linked master account and verify it exists in a forest different from the one hosting Exchange. The error messasge is : Failed to reconnect to Active Directory server AD01.Domain.com. Make sure the server is available, and that you have used the correct credentials.
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], TaskInvalidOperationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CD6704AD

need assistance urgently.

Regards, Owais

Friday, February 6, 2015 11:01 PM

Answers

• i have found the resolution or can say its a work around :)

i didnt received any valuable comments on it.

i have sorted the issue, i have to uninstall the updates which were installed on the Domain controller. restarted the domain controller and recreate the trusts between the forests.

this is how i was able to resolve the issue.

Regards, Owais

• Marked as answer by Owais Pathan Tuesday, March 3, 2015 2:31 PM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 2:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Owais,

Thank you for your question.

Before we run the command, user mailbox’s master account should be created on Exchanger server in AD01.domain.com.

If the issue persist, we could refer to the following steps to troubleshoot:

1. We  have enough permission in ORG;
    2. Check forest trust relation correctly;
    3. Run the cmdlet on Exchange mailbox in AD01.domain to check if the cmdlet could run on local.

If there are any questions regarding this issue, please be free to let me know. 

Best Regard,

Jim

Monday, February 9, 2015 1:51 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Thank you for your support.

Yes, the master account is already in the Exchange forest. amazing issue is it was working fine until the DC01 restarted.

I have checked and troubleshoot all the scenarios you have mentioned, but still the problem persists.

it is now going over my head aghhhh...

Regards, Owais

Monday, February 9, 2015 1:37 PM
  • i have found the resolution or can say its a work around :)

i didnt received any valuable comments on it.

i have sorted the issue, i have to uninstall the updates which were installed on the Domain controller. restarted the domain controller and recreate the trusts between the forests.

this is how i was able to resolve the issue.

Regards, Owais

• Marked as answer by Owais Pathan Tuesday, March 3, 2015 2:31 PM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 2:31 PM
  • Hi Owais,

Do you happen to remember the updates that you removed? I am working on a similar issue; trying to reconnect a disabled mailbox in a resource forest to a linked master account in a remote domain. I have an admin account in the resource forest, but not in the remote AD domain (at the moment).

Did you run the command in VERBOSE and capture when the error happened?

Eric

Friday, December 11, 2015 10:45 PM