none
Connecting to remote desktop web acess with Windows 10 and latest internet explorer RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried to access RD web access on a new computer and I keep getting a message that says "This Web browser is not supported by RD Web Access. RD Web Access requires Internet Explorer 6.0 or later."

I have the latest version, so why won't it work? and how can I make it work?

Friday, January 8, 2016 10:06 PM

Answers

• RD Web Access requires Internet Explorer 6.0 or later."

Often that is a symptom that the site is checking your User-Agent string but not recognizing that in fact it is more advanced than it has been programmed to consider.  Then unfortunately the default assumption is that if the UAS is not known it must be coming from a browser which has no capabilities!  To solve this you could use Compatibility view (Alt-x b) which emulates IE7 emulating IE5 (ironically) or you could use the Developer Tools, Emulation tab to try some other combination of User-Agent string and Document mode.  (F12, Ctrl-7).   Also, another possibility may be using Enterprise mode to pre-set an optimal UAS and Document mode for some particular site.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, January 9, 2016 9:48 PM
    Answerer
  • Modern versions of Windows (8.0 /8.1 /10) come with two Microsoft web browsers;
    - Win8.0 comes with "ModernIE"  and also IE10
    - Win8.1 comes with "ModernIE" and also IE11
    - Win10 comes with "Microsoft Edge" and also IE11

You may be inadvertently trying to use ModernIE/Edge, for RDWA, and this will fail, because RDWA requires the use of ActiveX components which do not work with ModernIE/Edge.

If this is so, you can search/locate IE on your Start or All Apps menu/screen, and use the "classic" IE for your RDWA sessions.

Sunday, January 10, 2016 4:37 AM

All replies

• RD Web Access requires Internet Explorer 6.0 or later."

Often that is a symptom that the site is checking your User-Agent string but not recognizing that in fact it is more advanced than it has been programmed to consider.  Then unfortunately the default assumption is that if the UAS is not known it must be coming from a browser which has no capabilities!  To solve this you could use Compatibility view (Alt-x b) which emulates IE7 emulating IE5 (ironically) or you could use the Developer Tools, Emulation tab to try some other combination of User-Agent string and Document mode.  (F12, Ctrl-7).   Also, another possibility may be using Enterprise mode to pre-set an optimal UAS and Document mode for some particular site.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, January 9, 2016 9:48 PM
    Answerer
  • Modern versions of Windows (8.0 /8.1 /10) come with two Microsoft web browsers;
    - Win8.0 comes with "ModernIE"  and also IE10
    - Win8.1 comes with "ModernIE" and also IE11
    - Win10 comes with "Microsoft Edge" and also IE11

You may be inadvertently trying to use ModernIE/Edge, for RDWA, and this will fail, because RDWA requires the use of ActiveX components which do not work with ModernIE/Edge.

If this is so, you can search/locate IE on your Start or All Apps menu/screen, and use the "classic" IE for your RDWA sessions.

Sunday, January 10, 2016 4:37 AM
  • Oops, I used the wrong profile/account above :S

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Sunday, January 10, 2016 7:32 AM