No audio through VPN after Windows 10 upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded to Windows 10 recently. It did not go well. In the end I had to do a clean installation and reload all of my software. This includes a Netgear VPN client and an Avaya IP Office Video Softphone. The VPN tunnel is up and the softphone is registered with the Avaya system at the office, however I no longer get audio through the tunnel. 

The phone system and VPN firewall at the main office have not changed. The ISP has not changed. The tunnel and phone are compatible with Windows 10 and are working minus the audio. The only difference between today and a couple weeks ago is Windows 10. 

I have re-installed the VPN client and softphone in "compatibility" for Windows 7. I disabled the firewall and Windows Defender. I have done extensive testing with Netgear and Avaya. The end result is that these apps on my computer don't have the ability to block or permit audio. It must be a routing or network issue. Again, the only thing that is new is Windows 10. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:12 PM

Answers

• Hi TerriN-313,

Are there any related error messages recorded in the Event Viewer(Windows logs\Application)?

"Something in windows is blocking the audio"
    We could try to perform a clean boot to have a troubleshoot.
    Clean boot
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/929135

Considering this issue is related to a third party software and we are lack of resources how it works and it is not available to test it on my side. I hope the third party support would have more resources to help you.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 25, 2016 6:48 AM

All replies

• Hi  TerriN-313,

Considering both Netgear VPN client and an Avaya IP Office Video Softphone are third party software and we are not familiar with them. It is recommended to ask for help from the third party support. They are more familiar with their product and they may have more resources to help you.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 2:45 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, however the outcome so far is that something in Windows 10 is probably the issue, NOT the 3rd party programs. I started by checking with Netgear and Avaya; these are not the issue. Something in windows is blocking the audio.
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 6:43 PM
  • Hi TerriN-313,

Are there any related error messages recorded in the Event Viewer(Windows logs\Application)?

"Something in windows is blocking the audio"
    We could try to perform a clean boot to have a troubleshoot.
    Clean boot
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/929135

Considering this issue is related to a third party software and we are lack of resources how it works and it is not available to test it on my side. I hope the third party support would have more resources to help you.

Best regards

Monday, April 25, 2016 6:48 AM