Can I upgrade win 10 home to win 10 Pro using the FULL win 10 Pro CD (NOT an upgrade license) w/o clean install? RRS feed

• Question

• My IT dept has given me a (multiple license key) ISO for Windows 10 Pro. I already have Win 10 Home installed on a machine I have been using (started from Win 8.1, then free upgrade to Win 10 Home).

I want to upgrade the Win 10 Home to Pro, WITHOUT a clean install using this CD. Can it be done or can it only be done using an "upgrade license".

PS. both the already installed Win 10 Home and the Pro CD are full retail versions, NOT previews, etc.

Doc-OS

Friday, September 25, 2015 6:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Doc-OS,

Please take a try with the DISM command:

Dism /Online /Get-CurrentEdition (Displays the edition of the specified image, means your current system edition)

Dism /Online /Get-TargetEditions (Displays a list of Windows editions that an image can be changed to)

Dism /online /Set-Edition: <edition name> /AcceptEula /ProductKey:12345-67890-12345-67890-12345 (The pro license key)

Reference:https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825157.aspx

Or you may backup the current system, then run the setup from the install CD and choose to upgrade.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Monday, September 28, 2015 7:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Doc-OS Monday, September 28, 2015 8:20 PM
    Monday, September 28, 2015 7:58 AM

All replies

• Sunday, September 27, 2015 1:14 AM
  • How to easily upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

The reply above does not answer my question. That reply is how to use the UPGRADE LICENSE facility. I already have a paid-for CD with a FULL Win 10 Pro license. I do not want to BUY the upgrade license. I want to use the FULL CD as if it was an upgrade license.

Doc-OS

Sunday, September 27, 2015 11:48 AM
  • Hi Doc-OS,

Please take a try with the DISM command:

Dism /Online /Get-CurrentEdition (Displays the edition of the specified image, means your current system edition)

Dism /Online /Get-TargetEditions (Displays a list of Windows editions that an image can be changed to)

Dism /online /Set-Edition: <edition name> /AcceptEula /ProductKey:12345-67890-12345-67890-12345 (The pro license key)

Reference:https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825157.aspx

Or you may backup the current system, then run the setup from the install CD and choose to upgrade.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Monday, September 28, 2015 7:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Doc-OS Monday, September 28, 2015 8:20 PM
    Monday, September 28, 2015 7:58 AM
  • Thanks. That's just what I was looking for.

Doc-OS

Monday, September 28, 2015 8:21 PM