none
Minimum partition size? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to protect the System Reserved partition using a mount point (see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager2012beta/thread/f3f10577-6209-40ea-bab6-c27a5ecc1b55).  The partition can be selected but the protection group cannot be created.  When the wizard goes to the "Review disk allocation" I get an error popup that says "The MOUNTPOINT on MACHINE does not meet the minimum size requirement of 1GB. (ID 164)" where MOUNTPOINT is the mount point I created for the partition, and MACHINE is the machine name.

Any suggestions?  Can this be bypassed using powershell?

Rob

• Moved by Larry Yin Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:21 PM (From:DPM 2012 Beta - Locked)
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In order to make a VSS snapshot, the mimimum NTFS volume size supported is 1GB.  This is a Windows limitation not DPM.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 2, 2012 3:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In order to make a VSS snapshot, the mimimum NTFS volume size supported is 1GB.  This is a Windows limitation not DPM.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 2, 2012 3:22 AM
  • So I guess this means that DPM cannot protect the System Reserved partition created by Windows. 

Rob

Friday, March 2, 2012 2:04 PM
  • We can protect it VIA bare metal recovery (MBR) protection.  When you protected a server using BMR protection, the system reserved partition is included.

Friday, March 2, 2012 3:20 PM
  • The BMR is not realistic for remotely located servers since it sends the entire file each time.  I've been trying to use DFS to make this efficient which is overly complicated for large scale protection.  As such, it looks like we'll just have to robocopy the contents into a protected volume so we can protect these system reserved partitions. 

I really think that DPM needs to have a built-in, efficient method of doing BMR.  What would really make sense it to have the C: and E: drives protected at a file level, and then have a "supplementary" BMR that captures whatever is not in that file protection and additional "metadata" to be able to build a boot level restore. 

The file-level, Exchange and Hyper-V protection really is first class and allows easy restore.  The BMR is the only real weak point in the product.  It really hasn't had much attention spent on it over the past few releases.

Rob

Saturday, March 3, 2012 4:14 PM