none
move milestone symbols to the front of the Gantt bar line RRS feed

• Question

• I finally found out (thanks to this forum's help) how to put those symbols / milestones along one line.

(did indents and then roll up)

but now the bar is covering up the symbols

How do I move the symbols to the front ? 

Monday, November 13, 2017 7:21 PM

All replies

• FCOJHDZ,

Ordinarily the Gantt Bar symbol for a milestone will by default appear in front of a summary line if rolled up so you must have done some editing of the bar styles.

Bar styles that appear lower in the list (i.e. toward the bottom) will take precedence over bar styles that appear higher in list (i.e. toward the top)  if there is a conflict in the bar style criteria. So one quick fix for you might be to move the milestone bar style below the summary line bar style in the list. Try that and see it it resolves your issue.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, November 13, 2017 8:32 PM
  • There's no drag and drop way of doing this is there ?
    Monday, November 13, 2017 8:57 PM
  • To fix this on one line, I turned the summary task into auto schedule mode and this moved my milestone symbols to the front.

I tried that auto scheduling thing with another summary task, but instead it made the summary line disappear.

I noticed that with the first line (where this trick worked), the first milestone occurs the same day as the parent task begins.

With the summary task where this didn't work, the first milestone occurs after the parent task begins.

Monday, November 13, 2017 9:02 PM
  • Bingo !

They are in front of the main summary task,

but the symbols don't appear in front of the second-level subtask / summary task under which they fall.

So I have

• summary task
    • sub task
    • milestones

The milestone symbols appear in front of the summary task line,

but not in front of the sub task line. On the sub task line under which they fall, the symbols appear behind the line and are barely visible.

• Edited by FCOJHDZ Monday, November 13, 2017 9:18 PM
    Monday, November 13, 2017 9:18 PM
  • FCOJHDZ,

Wow, sounds like you've been a busy guy/gal since I answered your post. It still all comes down to precedence in the bar styles list as I explained before. And if you are rolling up tasks or milestones from performance tasks (i.e non-summary) to summary level, you need to set the Rollup field appropriately at both levels.

And no, there is no drag and drop in the bar styles list.

So, do you still have an issue? If so, a screen shot would really be useful.

John

Monday, November 13, 2017 9:38 PM
  • I'm a guy, John, first of all (just clearing that up).

It was definitely a busy day at the office (went by fast) trying to figure this out with the pressure on (there was some kind of grant deadline for which this MS Project task / visualization was being done / asked for).

It (the visualization through MS Project) ended up being transferred to another employee before I could figure it out (even with all of your guys' help),

but, at the end of the day, I learned something myself.

The thing was, I had to switch summary tasks to auto-scheduled in order for the rolled up milestones to be shown in front.

BUT, a caveat was that the sub milestones couldn't occur / take place further down the line (at a later date) than the summary task ; otherwise, if they did, the Gantt chart bar line would either be in front of the milestone symbols (if on manually scheduled)  or the summary task line would disappear (if I did auto-schedule).

So, to fix this, I had to insert / create fictional sub-tasks beneath the summary that began at the same date as the summary, just to keep the summary line in-tact (meaning it wouldn't disappear and/or automatically re-schedule itself to an advanced date to match my milestone beginning date) in auto-schedule mode, 

and then roll them up along with the real milestone in order for the milestone symbol to be shown in front of the Gantt chart line.

Like I said, by that time the work and "glory" had gone to someone else at my workplace (or so I think),

but I'm happy at least I figured out how to do this in case I ever get tasked with something like this again.

Thanks all.

• Edited by PANCHO1990 Tuesday, November 14, 2017 4:48 AM
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 4:41 AM
  • PANCHO1990,

It sounds like you may have been mixing manually scheduled and auto-scheduled tasks in your file. Just for reference, I never use manually scheduled tasking. Manual scheduling is intended for initial planning to develop a rough draft of a plan. Once details are incorporated into the plan, everything should be auto-scheduled.

I don't quite follow your description of milestones not rolling up and you should NOT have to create "fictional" tasks to make it work. I suspect there is a flaw in your plan but without seeing it directly (e.g. screen shot, or actual file), I can't tell you exactly what is wrong.

John

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:18 PM