Send email from multiple SMTP addresses RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange 2010 SP1 / Outlook 2010 SP1 / AD2008 r2

We receive email on three seperate domains. (d1.com, d2.com, d3.com).  Our employees need to send / receive email on all the domains.   Also not everyone has the same primary email domain setup in their AD account.  I can easily receive email on all the domains.  The users can't select one of their non-primary smtp address and send out as that email address.  What are my option for allowing users to send out email from their non-primary smtp address from Outlook 2010.  All the users have a single AD/Exchange account.

I've attempted to setup additional pop3 accounts on their Outlook client.  The user can then select the pop3 account on a new OL email message.  For some reason I can't get this to work consistently especially if I include attachments.  I believe I have the relay open on the HUB transport because I can get some emails out.(Intermittent success on deliveries).  Emails with attachments appear to fail all the time. 

The pop3 accounts create a second local data store that is used when I send email from the pop3 accounts.  The OL account settings allow me to switch(Change Folder) on the pop3 accounts.  Can I utilize the Exchange Inbox for pop3 sending?

Is there another way to accomplish this or a third-party utility?

Thanks joe 

Friday, November 4, 2011 9:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can give them three separate accounts for the three addresses and use different clients to log on to each.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Friday, November 4, 2011 9:23 PM
  • 1. What happens when user select From: option in Outlook and send.

2. You can have seperate mailboxes and provide delegation ,so that mailboxes can be managed from same outlook

• Proposed as answer by sumesh vasu Friday, November 4, 2011 9:31 PM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 9:31 PM
  • Hi,

The step is similar as the link below:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2007/11/06/how-to-send-e-mails-with-exchange-using-a-different-from-address.aspx

What you need to do is:(primary smtp address is user@d1.com)

1. remove user@d2.com and user@d3.com from smtp address list for user account

2. create the accounts (userD2 userD3) and change their smtp address to user@d2.com and user@d3.com

3. grant "Send As" permission to user account for these two account.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by K1llStr1k3 Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:13 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by K1llStr1k3 Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jason LJS Monday, November 14, 2011 9:05 AM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:57 AM
  • I went ahead and added a mail enable security group like the document explained.  I setup a single user security group for each unique address I needed  to send from.  Everythings fine expect the GAL now has hundreds of additional security groups that don't need to show up for internal users.  The (Exchange Advanced / Hide group from Exchange address lists) will remove the group but it then gives me a "You do not have the permission to send the message on behalf of the specified user"  Is there a workaround for this?

Joe

Monday, November 14, 2011 5:49 PM