none
bginfo outputs wrong resolution when running as system or runas account

Question

• I've been using bginfo for years to produce backgrounds for lab computers both on the users desktop and login screen. The users desktop has always worked great, but the logon screen background is my problem.  The background is processed from a group policy startup script.  For the last few years I've had issues with it outputting at the wrong resolution (1024x768).  It may have been doing this for even longer and we probably just didn't notice because the screens were 4:3.  Everything is now 16:9 and every computers logon screen looks different some are set correctly and others are not.  I'm still working on figuring at the connections between ones that work and ones that don't since everything in theory is identical.  The fundamental problem is bginfo wants to detect the current resolution and output the graphic accordingly.  With Windows 10 it is more consistently broken and we have delayed using the logon screen background feature because of this problem.  I've seen this topic brought up many time, but with no result.  Is there a way or could bginfo be updated to either use the input file resolution or manually specify a resolution?  Or what is bginfo looking for that causes it to mess up when running as system.  I can easily duplicate using psexec -s to execute bginfo.

Thanks,

Sam

Thursday, November 15, 2018 3:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Sam

thanks for reporting this. I have added it to the product backlog and will revert once it has been resolved.

Regards

MarkC(MSFT)

Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:27 AM
  • It looks like it only happens in session 0.  If I run 'psexec -sid cmd' and run it from a command prompt on the desktop, the resolution matches.  If you could run it in the console session while it's logged in, that seems to work.

• Edited by JS2010 Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:16 PM
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 4:40 PM