Outlook 2010 Virtual Search Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I've followed the Office 2010 virtualization recipe as best as I know and tried enable all of the available proxies.  The installation of the Office 2010 App-V 4.6 Office Deployment kit seemed to install.  The first (I'm sure of many) issues I'm trying to tackle is the Outlook 2010 search integration.  The search simply doesn't seem to work at ALL.  I get no results trying to search for anything inside of the virtual Outlook 2010.

Here is the install from the deployment kit:

msiexec /i OffVirt.msi REINSTALL=ALL ADDDEFAULT=Click2runOneNoteProxy,Click2runOutlookProxies,Click2runWDSProxy,Click2runOWSSuppProxies PACKAGEGUID={Guid} PACKAGEVERSION=14.0.4755.1000 OUTLOOKNAME="Microsoft Outlook 2010" ONENOTENAME="Microsoft OneNote 2010" MAPISERVER="Microsoft Virtual Office Simple Mapi Proxy Server" VIRTUALSEARCHHOST="Search MAPI Protocol Handler Host" MLCFG32CPL="Windows Control Panel" OWSSUPPServer="Microsoft SharePoint Client Support Manager" PROPLUS=1 PROJECTPRO=1 VISIOPRO=1

I'm not even quite sure how to try and troubleshoot the issue at this point.  I didn't change any of the default names for the applications, so I'm hoping the name parameters in the deployment kit install are correct.  Iwonder if the names in this parameter list should also include the version, i.e. OUTLOOKNAME="Microsoft Outlook 2010 14.0.4755.1000"

Anyone tackled this yet?

Sunday, May 16, 2010 11:52 PM

Answers

• I believe this issue has been resolved. By default our users run with no administrative rights on the machine. I'm not run in my original command files I told them to "run as administrator" and supply other administrative rights. You must install the kit in two separate steps. The first step includes the licensing paramters (i.e. PROPLUS=1, VISIOPRO=1, ...) The second step is where you add all the Proxy information (ADDDEFAULT=...) These cannot be included on the same command line.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, May 22, 2010 11:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Redparadox Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:46 AM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 9:23 PM

All replies

• Hello,

X86 or X64?

/Znack

Monday, May 17, 2010 4:54 AM
  • This is x86

Monday, May 17, 2010 10:30 AM
  • Hello,

On x64 I had the issue (during beta) that some keys only laid down the name (and not the version) of the native keys. 

You can capture what the deployment kit installs and verify if that is truely available within the native registry.

/Znack
    Monday, May 17, 2010 11:11 AM
  • I've captured the install of the deployment kit.  Do you have an example of one of the registry keys to look for? 
    Monday, May 17, 2010 12:16 PM
  • Hello,

No - but the should all be available and visible if you do a capture.

I just did a search, so I didn't save them anywhere...

/Znack

Monday, May 17, 2010 12:18 PM
  • I found the keys, they are located in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\CVH  What I am seeing however, is that either the keys are not set at all or they chose some default strings.

For example, the Click2RunOutlookProxies should have been set to (according to the install):

MAPISERVER="Microsoft Virtual Office Simple Mapi Proxy Server"

However, what is set in the registry is: "Simple MAPI Proxy Server"

There must be something wrong in the parameter list that I am trying to install the deployment kit with.

Monday, May 17, 2010 1:09 PM
  • The name "Simple MAPI Proxy Server is what is listed in teh official MS recipe so that could be where that is coming from.

Obviously something isn't working and that isn't great, but it definitely does work.  When you say you have captured the install of the Deployment Kit what do you mean.

I agree this is a difficult to troubleshoot what is going wrong, if you can give me more background on it.  One thing to check is the version numbers beings the same as for some reason they are all over the board on RTM.  THe RC and beta did a better job of keeping them more consistent.  Notice I didn't say consistent.

Let me see what I can do.  Couple of things. When you say you followed the recipe to the best of your ability, what does that mean?  THe virtualization of OFfcie 2010 is fairly easy, the proxies not so much.

thanks

mattmcdermott

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 9:17 PM
  • "When you say you have captured the install of the Deployment Kit what do you mean"

I ran a procmon trace during the App-V kit install is what I meant.

"One thing to check is the version numbers beings the same as for some reason they are all over the board on RTM. "

I did keep all the version numbers the same

"When you say you followed the recipe to the best of your ability, what does that mean? "

I followed the recipe as written including the proxy setup.  The registry keys are not being written under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\CVH 

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 1:12 AM
  • As another followup, I ran a procmon trace while the offvirt.msi was executing.  It never wrote any of the registry keys, the only desired access was "Read".  I've started another thread, because the main issue I seem to be having now is with the SharePoint virtualization handler.  It is not activating, it very well could be related to this same issue with the install of this package not working correctly?

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:32 AM
  • I had the same issue and solve it. I miss to change versions of all apps.

Make sure that the versions of all the Applications (including the proxies) are equal (14.0.4755.1000). You can change this in the Add Applications step of the wizard, but also manually change the OSD files after saving the entire project with Notepad or Login Consultants OSD Editor.

Friday, May 21, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Thanks.  I did do that step and matched them all to 14.0.4755.1000
    Friday, May 21, 2010 2:23 PM
  • Did you change manifest file? I resolved my issue after sequencing and had to correct all data... :(

And what is the error in log file?

Friday, May 21, 2010 9:10 PM
  • I believe this issue has been resolved. By default our users run with no administrative rights on the machine. I'm not run in my original command files I told them to "run as administrator" and supply other administrative rights. You must install the kit in two separate steps. The first step includes the licensing paramters (i.e. PROPLUS=1, VISIOPRO=1, ...) The second step is where you add all the Proxy information (ADDDEFAULT=...) These cannot be included on the same command line.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, May 22, 2010 11:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Redparadox Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:46 AM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 9:23 PM
  • Sorry I didn't actually catcht that.  Just had a conversation with someone about having to run that in two steps.

Glad you got everything resolved.

mattmcdermott

Sunday, May 23, 2010 12:50 PM
  • I am still having issues with the search function in my package...

so what you are suggesting is to use msiexec /i OffVirt.msi PROPLUS=1  to install and when that is done do msiexec /i OffVirt.msi ADDLOCAL=Click2runMapi,Click2runOWSSupp,Click2runWDS,OSpp,OSpp_Core    ? Before I even begin to sequence

BTW I am an Admin on the machine that I am sequencing on.

Friday, May 28, 2010 8:02 PM