none
Can't Find R Tools for Visual Studio After Install RRS feed

• Question

• I spent the past couple days installing Visual Studio Community 2015. I have Windows 7, with SP1. I installed VB & C# (of course) as well as Python. I tried to install RTVS, and everything seemed to run to completions, but now I can;t find RTVS anywhere. I installed these three technologies; VS, RTVS, and MS Open R.

I have the R for Windows (the calculation engine) and R Studio (this should be irrelevant). When I look at Visual Studio, I see this.

Where is R??? I rebooted my machine; still nothing!!

MY BOOK

• Edited by ryguy72 Tuesday, September 6, 2016 12:20 AM
    Saturday, September 3, 2016 1:13 PM

All replies

• I've been through this install process a few times now.  It looks like everything installs fine, but I can't find R anywhere.  It simply does not exist in my Visual Studio.  Where is this thing??!!

I spent a few more hours on this over the long weekend.  I uninstalled it a few times and reinstalled it a few times.  Still, nothing.  I don't understand this technology at all.  What does a person need to do to make this work?  I followed the online instructions but nothing works for me.  This can NOT be so hard.  What do I need to do to make this work?

MY BOOK

• Edited by ryguy72 Tuesday, September 6, 2016 12:21 AM
    Monday, September 5, 2016 12:49 AM
  • Hello! Do you see R Tools menu in VS ?

Mikhail Arkhipov (Microsoft)

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 4:12 PM
  • Wow, sorry you are going through this.  I just performed the same install.  I have two instances on my box, one is Visual Studio Enterprise 2015, and the other is Visual Studio 15 Preview 3.  Oddly, the tools show fine in the first,  but not at all in the second(?).  Not sure if it's a related issue but it seems like it might be. I'm on windows 10, and I did already have the original CRAN R and R Studio installed prior to this.  I hope they can get this resolved for you soon!

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 9:52 PM
  • I am not on the RTVS development team, so I am not the best person to reply, but you can point RTVS to a specific R installation via the menu option 'RTools --> R Engine ---> R Engine(64-bit)'.

For example, if you have Microsoft R Server For SQL Server installed, you would select 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\R_SERVER' in the dialog. You can also select the CRAN-R install directory here, if you are using that. Or you could select the folder 'C:\Program Files\R\R-3.3.1' here. You will then need to restart RTVS for the changes to be applied to your current session.

Try that and let us know if you do not see a 'RTools' menu option showing in RTVS.

Stephen Weller

Microsoft R Open Product Team

Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:22 PM