none
W=D * U not working in 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• In 2010 it appears W=D * U is problematic!.

With Fixed Duration Tasks, allocating a resource to a task and subsequently altering the work leaves the units at 100%.

Whereas if you alter the work BEFORE you add the resource, it will create the resource units at the correct %. But that has never been a requirement; and surely you should be able to plan the duration, add the resource at 8 hrs, and then alter the correct hours and have it reflected in the % allocation; on the Gantt, resource work, costs and work split screen.

With Costs - it changes with the Work, but the Unite still show 100%.

I have -

• effort driven off,
    • auto schedule on

I have checked all other settings and made changes to test; also compared with 2007

This looks like a bug unless I have some settings incorrect.

Would appreciate assistance/comments

Pratta

Pratta
    Monday, May 2, 2011 5:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Pratta,

I completely agree that it is a change with major impact on experienced users. But a few words to your comment:

I don't see Peak units as relevant here - you already set that in the Res sheet to control overallocations.
    What you set in Resource Sheet are Max. Units, this is totally different from assignment units or peak units. They impactz both of them when assigning a new resource to a task with Max. Unist < 100%, since this will be the default value for Assignment units. Moreover, it is the value to compare resource allocations.

But let's have a look on usage. Assume a task, Fixed Work with 8hrs work and a duration of 1d. You increase duration to 2d (still 8hrs of work). In Task usage view, you will see:
    Assignment Units: 100% (since original value is kept as described in the blog)
    Peak Units: 50%, as expected.

Moreover, if you add Percent allocation and Peak Units as fields in timescaled grif, you will see 50% for both of them on day level. - So project is doind the calculation  in the proper way. You only can't rely on Assignment Units as you are used to, since this behaviour was changed.

Does that help?
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Pratta Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:43 AM
    Monday, May 2, 2011 8:34 AM
  • Hi Pratte,

the calculation was not changed from 2007 to 2010. There is a change how fields are used to display units information with major impact for the user. You will see the correct values if you add Peak column to a Usage view. For a detailled description, have a look at: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2010/04/29/assignment-units-in-project-2010.aspx.

Hope that helps?
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Pratta Monday, May 2, 2011 5:39 AM
    Monday, May 2, 2011 5:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Pratte,

the calculation was not changed from 2007 to 2010. There is a change how fields are used to display units information with major impact for the user. You will see the correct values if you add Peak column to a Usage view. For a detailled description, have a look at: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2010/04/29/assignment-units-in-project-2010.aspx.

Hope that helps?
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Pratta Monday, May 2, 2011 5:39 AM
    Monday, May 2, 2011 5:33 AM
  • Hello Pratta,

There has been changes in the way assignments are calculated in 2010, now Assignment Units in the Gantt are shown in when the value is directly altered from 100%, but the the product behavior is changed so that changing scalar work after making an assignment on a task will no longer automatically alter the Assignment Units field as it did in previous versions.

Read the following post for better understanding : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2010/04/29/assignment-units-in-project-2010.aspx

Sapna S
    Monday, May 2, 2011 5:58 AM
  • Hi Barbara

Many thanks for that. Am reading it.

Must admit I'm not convinced at this early stage.

I mean W=D*U is our E=MCsqrd

I don't see Peak units as relevant here - you already set that in the Res sheet to control overallocations.

Also - you can show Res units in the gantt, thats true; but it will be 100%!!, yet work is showing at a lesser figure!! Misleading.

The idea with scheduling planning with Fixed duration set is that resource can be pre preallocated in a template perhaps, and then duration altered as required and resource work changed to reflect reality in work estimations (which is the PMs job) - and that the resource units % is altered to reflect that work prior to finalising the schedule creation and baselining.

I think maybe the baby just went out with the bathwater.

What do you think.?

Again, your response greatly appreciated.

Pratta

Pratta
    Monday, May 2, 2011 7:26 AM
  • Hi Pratta,

I completely agree that it is a change with major impact on experienced users. But a few words to your comment:

What you set in Resource Sheet are Max. Units, this is totally different from assignment units or peak units. They impactz both of them when assigning a new resource to a task with Max. Unist < 100%, since this will be the default value for Assignment units. Moreover, it is the value to compare resource allocations.

But let's have a look on usage. Assume a task, Fixed Work with 8hrs work and a duration of 1d. You increase duration to 2d (still 8hrs of work). In Task usage view, you will see:
    Assignment Units: 100% (since original value is kept as described in the blog)
    Peak Units: 50%, as expected.

Moreover, if you add Percent allocation and Peak Units as fields in timescaled grif, you will see 50% for both of them on day level. - So project is doind the calculation  in the proper way. You only can't rely on Assignment Units as you are used to, since this behaviour was changed.

Does that help?
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Pratta Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:43 AM
    Monday, May 2, 2011 8:34 AM